Old 09-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I don't like worsted weight yarns!
I am a beginner who has been knitting for 2 whole months. I have discoverd by trial and error that I PREFER chunky and superchunky yarns and needles. I bought some worsted weight yarns and size 8 circular needles over the weekend and tried them out. They are ok.. but I prefer the big, easy, chunky yarns and big, easy, chunky needles. I know many projects are designed fo rthe worsted weight which is the average wt for a yarn and size 8 needles.. but I don't like them as welll.!!! I want my big fat, yarn!!
aineepooh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Hey, more power to you. I have a lot of chunky yarn, and I prefer that for some projects (I don't really want to try to knit an adult afgan out of WW yarn)....but then I learned how to knit lace, and, well.....we won't talk about it.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Celine
Turning the Heel

Good to know
Well thats good you know what you like. There are plenty of thick and chunky yarns out there. I too like to use some of them for certain things I'm knitting.

If you ever run out of ideas there are knitting books out there just for using chunky yarns.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't like using 8s either, but that's never stopped me from using worsted weight. Try knitting worsted on size 10 or 10.5s. Sometimes 11s work too. My favorites are the metric sizes in between, the 7 and 7.5 mm. I even use them on yarn that's suppose to be DK weight. The knit is looser, but I prefer that to a tighter knit anyway.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

You can always double or triple up your strands of worsteds to make an approximate chunky-weight too!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

How do you do that?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Braden
Instepping Out

Well, you know what you like, and you stick with it. Perfect.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by aineepooh1
How do you do that?
just hold a couple of strands together when you are knitting. after a bit you forget...really. easily done....i think we all promise!

(yeah i like speaking for everybody! )
Old 09-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
Shavon
Casting On

I definitely agree with you about using the big needles. I love knitting on big needles because I love knitting blankets and they go SO much faster on larger needles! That's great you know what you like already, because I've been knitting about 7 months and I think I just figured my big needle preference out about a month ago.

I do love worsted weight yarn though, because other than cotton, it seems to be about the only yarn I can find in huge, 1 pound balls, and I love huge balls of yarn, LOL. But since I love big needles too, I often use 2 strands of worsted together, usually on size 15 needles, and I love the way this turns out! Took me a little while to get the hang of it (I had to be really careful to make sure I knitted BOTH strands for each stitch!) but I'm glad I did, because now I have many uses for these thousands of types of worsted yarn that seem to be all over the place.
Shavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #10
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I don't mean to sound stupid.. but when you say.. knit two strands together does that mean you double up the one skein of yarn or do you use two skeins of yarn at once to double it's weight... unforutunately, I am a little slow at times...