Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
wooly_guy
Casting On

Amy's Cont. style knitting:trying to master technique
As a long time English -style knitter, I have always wanted to try the Cont-method of knitting. I viewed the videos and tried to incorporate this method in a current knit project. After much frustration, I am wondering how long it takes a right-handed person to adapt to this method. I can't seem to get the thread tension-yarn holding down enough to make this work. It looks like this would really speed up the process, just wondering how long the learning curve takes.
wooly_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Angelia

I'm right-handed but started with Conti, so it's hard to say how long it will take. (I did crochet for years, so holding the yarn in my left hand was natural. And mind you, my left hand is pretty useless otherwise .) I do know that I have the same problem knitting English and have to wrap the yarn in a really odd way to maintain any tension at all.

You might try varying how you wrap the yarn in your left hand. For instance, I had to stop wrapping the yarn around my pinky because that wrap made the tension far too tight. I now just pinch it between my pinky and ring finger, and loop it over my forefinger as per the video. How you hold the yarn doesn't really matter as long as it works for you; I guess the trick is finding which way works. Just play with it, and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
ya .. i tried b4 and the tension is too loose.. and purl is worse ... ha ha maybe i will try again... cos' i got carpal tunnel so i need to use more knitting techniques so that i can switch method and my hands won't ache and numb so much .... good luck on yours
Old 09-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

I have to giggle b/c I'm feeling the same way with learning English style. I'm a right-handed Conti knitter, yet holding the yarn in my right hand is like trying to write with my left hand. Very frustrating

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I've been knitting now for 2 years, am a self taught knitter, as many of you are. I could not even come close to understanding conti knitting (I learned from a book, didn't know about KH when I 1st began). And I knit English for a bit over a year. Amy's videos helped me with my conti knitting, too. I will have to say, that truthfully, for me, it probably took 2-3 months for me to get my tension right. That was because I kept switching back to English knitting bc it was 2nd nature to me, then, one day conti knitting clicked and I've not turned back. I don't think it normally takes as long to get the tension correct if you don't keep switching back and forth like I did.
I hold my yarn loosely wrapped around my pinky and forefinger.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm sure how long it takes depends a lot on the person, but I was basically comfortable with it after a hat, and preferred it after doing a two-fisted two-color scarf.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
kschmitz
Ribbing the Cuff

Keep at it! I started as a left-handed English knitter (despite being right-handed) and learned to knit Conti about 6 weeks ago.

It really is a matter of sticking with it and trying different methods of wrapping the yarn around your pinkie/other fingers to get the tension even. I learned on a sock, and it was a pain for a few days. But it really does "click" eventually, and it's worth it!
kschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I knit for about two months in English, then tried continental on a swatch, and it fell flat.

Then one day, I don't know, it just clicked, and now I have a hard time trying to remember how to knit English.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
after reading the above.... i feel like trying again.... maybe knit stitch first...purl is abit nut for me...never seem to get it right...

well i will never give it up .... that's 4 sure
Old 09-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
jdee
Working the Gusset

Everytime I try continintal method, I end up switching back to english after a few rows, because my left thumb cramps. I know it's supposed to be faster, but knitting isn't much fun when it hurts. I do keep trying, though. Maybe someday I'll be able to do it.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote