Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

OT buying a front load washer
We are buying a new washer and dryer. I would really like the front loading type. I was wondering if any of you have one, and if so what brand and do you like it? I was also wondering if anyone knew of a website that would compare them and rate them. Thanks.
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

epinions has a great site that individuals can write up reviews for things and offer ratings. They have a nice area for appliances and washers/dryers http://www.epinions.com/Washing_Mach...--front_loader
Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Mrs.H
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been scoping them out myself, and I've come to one conclusion, buy the Kenmore model that is the closest match to the name brand model you like the best. Odds are it will be manufactured by the same company, at the same plant. You will save money, and Sears is very well known for standing behind behind their Kenmore, and Craftsman product lines. I am not connected to Sears in any manner, outside to shopping there. I will say that I owned a Kenmore side by side refrigerator that was for 6 years, that was at least 20 years old when I bought my grandparents house. I ended up giving it to friends after I moved down here to SC, and they used it for 3 more years. Back to the washer's, you can't go wrong with a front-loader(if you have the room for one, door clearance), they use much less water, and power. Also, everything I've read said they do a better job cleaning, while being gentler on the fabric. They even save you money on detergent. I'm going to buy mine after the holidays are over.
Linda
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

One thing about front-loaders: once you start the cycle, that's it. No "oops I dropped a sock, let me stick it in" for these puppies.

Otherwise, from what I've heard, they're neat.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by psammeadred
One thing about front-loaders: once you start the cycle, that's it. No "oops I dropped a sock, let me stick it in" for these puppies.

Otherwise, from what I've heard, they're neat.
A front loader type was our first washer. Maybe if we had a base for it like they sell nowadays, I would have liked it better...also didn't like it for the reason psammeadred mentioned above...also the door gasket had to be replaced every few years...the floor would be flooded from the leaking. I never want one again.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
itsbecca1979
Knitting the Flap

I would like one, but I don't think you can felt with them.

Wife to Jerm 11/21/97
Mommy to
Rachelle~8
Issac~6
Ethan~4
Lucas~1

OTN: Wool longies for Lucas
Urban Whatever Hat
itsbecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
quriouskey
Ribbing the Cuff

My old front loader was a Eurotech -- a brand I've never come across elsewhere. I was very happy with it: it was so quiet I had to go into the laundry to check it was still going, it was very gentle on clothes so that they wore out noticeably slower, and it never leaked, overflowed, or got unbalanced. It was still going strong after 10 or so years.

We replaced it with an LG combined washer/dryer when DD was born. I'm less happy with this one. It often leaves clothes very damp, gets unbalanced loads frequently, and when that happens there's no indication of where it is in the cycle! So having fixed the unbalance, you don't know where to restart from. Oh, and it leaves a lot of lint all over the clothes (which is probably from DD's cloth nappies).
Old 09-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
www.consumerreports.org
you can pretty much see the rated results of anything here, I subscribe so I have complete access.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

for those of you that have one, what size did you go with? I have 3 boys and have at least 2 loads a day if not more, and the oldest is only 6. I can't imagine how much laundry I will have when they get older and have bigger clothes. I have been looking at the 3.5 - 3.8 range.
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #10

Ooohhh I too have a front loader and I hate it with a passion. Do you know how many times I've walked away, "just for a minute" during the initial start of the load, only to completely forget about it and then you're stuck till its done.

I realize its a safety issue, but it's an annoying one. We have no kids so no worries there.

Plus, the rubber/plastic part of the drum gets this moldy build-up on it after a few washes. It's completely disgusting. (I make hubby clean that one!!)

PLUS SIDE: It does save on water and detergent. Other than that I don't notice my clothes any cleaner than when we had a top-loader.

Sorry its not more of a positive reply, but sadly the truth is the truth...good luck.