Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
nafei
Casting On

How to cast on for double knitting?
I'm currently working on a scarf that is double-knit. I'm doing the Exchequered Pattern from Knitty. I don't understand how you add in the second color after you CO in the CC, it kind of skipped over how to do that.

I ignored her way and just used both colors while doing a cable cast on. For the most part this works, but I don't like how the colors are at the bottom. I want the colors to be the same on both sides, but it's not. I don't care about it being fixed on this scarf because I'm not restarting it, but I want to be able to do this to make scarves as gifts.

Pictures of my scarf so you can get a better idea of what I did.
-Excuse the ridiculously long needle(my puppy thought it was a good idea to eat my wood knitting needles and when I went to the store the only US 5 they had were those) and the wiiidde scarf (I think I CO on too many stitches.)

I couldn't really find the answer in other posts. Thanks so much!
nafei is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
letah75
Working the Gusset

Honestly, I kinda like your cast on. But when I double knit, I just do a long tail cast on with both colors at once. It blends the colors so that it looks the same on both sides.

The only problem is the first knitted/purled row is sometime a little more time consuming because you have to make sure that one color is always on the left and the CC is on the right, and it can take a bit of finagaling, but only on that first row.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
This article says to use a provisional cast on

http://knitting.about.com/library/blcodoubleknit.htm

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
nafei
Casting On

Thanks for the help guys. The cast on directions from about.com looked kind of confusing to me, so I wanted to know what other people do. I think it's mainly when it comes to the fact of adding the second color out of nowhere and not being told how.

Anywho, in the new Knitty issue there is an article about double knitting for socks (being able to knit a pair of socks at once). It does a pretty good job explaining how to cast on for double knitting and includes photos along with a "cheat" way.

Here's the link to the article because I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.
nafei is offline   Reply With Quote