Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

What do you charge for an afghan?
An aquaintence of mine saw me working on a friend's afghan and she asked me what I would charge for one. I couldn't answer because I've never charged anyone for the things I knit. I like this woman but I don't really know her so I wouldn't just make her an afghan and give it to her but I also feel wierd about asking for money. My DH says that my work is good enough to sell and if someone wants to buy something I should sell to them, but like I said I've never made anything for money and I wouldn't know how to charge. Could someone please give me some advice. Thanks

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
honestly...it would take them giving me their liver i think. Afghans are a long tedious process a lot of the time...ESPECIALLY if you aren't emotionally invested in it. I wouldn't even offer to do it truthfully because unless the money was REALLY good (and i am talking well over $200) i wouldn't have any motivation to get it done either. And they wouldn't be happy having to pay for it and then wait until 3 years from next Christmas for it.

(Guess how much i dislike doing afghans! )
Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Short answer: more than you think and probably more than she can afford.

Here is the best set of guidelines I've seen on how much to charge for what. Flory is a master knitter with tremendous experience. By her guidelines a fairly simple afghan would be considerably more than the $200 mentioned elsewhere.

But from the tone of your message I have a feeling that you don't really want to do this project. There's nothing wrong with knitting just knit for yourself and for gifts. Many good knitters decline to knit for pay (unless they're professionals, of course) because very few people understand the time and effort involved. (I suspect your husband is one of them.) Just tell the woman that you don't knit professionally. No other explanation is necessary.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

First of all, don't sell yourself short. I haven't sold anything, but if I ever do I would go about calculating the cost in this manner. First, figure out the cost of the yarn. Second, figure out about how long (i.e. how many hours) it will take you to make. Multiply your length estimate by the $ per hour you want to charge - I would probably start with $10/hour for basic stitches, but go up from there for more complicated things. Add the cost of yarn to the cost of labor for the minimum amount to charge.

However, I agree with brendajos that if this is not something you want to do, don't! No need to give her a price estimate (although something really high would probably make her back off), just tell her you don't want to do something on commission at this time (or some other tactful explanation/excuse as needed). Good luck!

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
For a large sized , worsted weight sweater I charge around 200 and the yarn must be provided. An Afghan would be at least double that, and if there were cables or color work involved that would make it take longer I would go even higher.

You have a skill that alot of people don't, and it is a valuable skill.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Offer to teach her to knit!!
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Yeah, I'm with Brendajos! At least a donatable body part, a bunch of money and long turn over time. People are always asking me to knit them socks. I've heard, "I'll pay you" so many times. My response is always, "Honey, you can't afford to pay me to knit you socks!" I knit because I knitting. I do not want it to be my job!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
Originally Posted by cheesiesmom
I usually answer selling requests that way

Since I crochet/knit between classes or during breaks at work, there's always plenty of interest from people about me making something for them. At some point, I might've considered it, but as it has been said, it's not something I'd do.

Making an afghan takes so much time and so much of yourself in it, that I reserve it for those that are really close to me.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #9

I agree with everyone's response. I'm making one for a Christmas gift and I started it almost 4 months ago!! Plus the whole thing is only a garter stitch.

At first I was all gung-ho about it but now I'm ready to poke my eyes out I'm almost done, but it seems so far from being done.

A blanket is a huge undertaking and unless you care for the person then I wouldn't do it either.

just my humble opinion
Old 09-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cheesiesmom
I agree. That is often what I offer instead of knitting the item. I go on to explain that it takes a lot of time to knit a large item and I have precious little free time with a project list a mile long. It just isn't worth it to me to knit for pay.
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote