Old 09-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

Lefties, help purling
My purls are weird. Well, maybe its not my pearls - when I purl and then pull the yarn back through the needles to knit, I get extra yarn, so I'm thinking I am purling wrong. What I was doing was following a web video - left needle in through the back of the stitch on the right needle and over the top of the same stitch, throw the yarn counter clockwise, but the yarn ends up weird and then putting it back to knit, its weirder. I wish I could explain. I'm actually trying a real live pattern that involves knitting and purling in one row (iyiyiii) and it just looks dumb.

If I purl the way a right handed person does, my yarn ends up being twisted and the stitches are too tight.

I keep fooling with it, but now I'm just frustrated.

Jane

Finished one poncho
Finished one felted ugly purse/bag
Working on dishclothes to get my stitches down!
janie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Re: Lefties, help purling
[quote="janie"What I was doing was following a web video - left needle in through the back of the stitch on the right needle and over the top of the same stitch, throw the yarn counter clockwise, but the yarn ends up weird and then putting it back to knit, its weirder.[/quote]

It sounds to me like one or more of these situations are happening:
1. You're purling through the back loop, which will twist the stitch.
2. Your yarn isn't in front to start with, so you're making a yarn over (YO) when you switch from knitting to purling.

To correct these:
1. Stick your right-hand needle from right to left through the loop on the left needle that is closest to you. Wrap the yarn counterclockwise, and then pull that loop up and under the "base" stitch.
2. When you're switching from knit to purl, before you start purling, pull the yarn in between your needles so it's sticking out toward you on the front side of your project, instead of being on the back side of your project. Purl away, then put the yarn back on the back side and knit as before.

Hope this helps!
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks. I just came to back to this. I was so frustrated by not being able to follow what seems to be a simple pattern, that I actually put the yarn & needles away.

Thanks for the help. When I purl, I do pull the yarn to the front through the needles. Your explanation was perfect!

jane

Finished one poncho
Finished one felted ugly purse/bag
Working on dishclothes to get my stitches down!
janie is offline   Reply With Quote