Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

Do you ever get heckled about your knitting?
I don't know about you guys but ever since I started kniting approx 2 months ago I get teased a lot about my kntting. Now granted, I take my knitting almost everywhere. Especially in places I expect to have a wait... doctor's appointments, restaraunts, visiting with fami ly, church, during my lunch break at work, ( I even snuck it into one class at school)BUT I do NOT apologize for it!! However, I get teased alot... especially by co workers who constantly ask what are you kniting NOWWWW? My family says... well, the grannyfaction process has started, my nephew said 'You just do old-people crafts".. again I do NOT apologize but does any one else get heckled...
NOT THAT IT WILL STOP ME IN THE LEAST!!
I LOVE IT TOO MUCH...!
aineepooh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-10-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I get less heckling and more disbelief that I would knit. Apparently, my friends and family don't think I'm the "type." It's too "homey" for me. "It's just not you."

I'm not sure what that means.
Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I get the same reactions as cawthraven. People are surprised when they find out I knit.
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
Mo0nAngel
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Mo0nAngel
Re: Do you ever get heckled about your knitting?
Originally Posted by aineepooh1
I don't know about you guys but ever since I started kniting approx 2 months ago I get teased a lot about my kntting. Now granted, I take my knitting almost everywhere. Especially in places I expect to have a wait... doctor's appointments, restaraunts, visiting with fami ly, church, during my lunch break at work, ( I even snuck it into one class at school)BUT I do NOT apologize for it!! However, I get teased alot... especially by co workers who constantly ask what are you kniting NOWWWW? My family says... well, the grannyfaction process has started, my nephew said 'You just do old-people crafts".. again I do NOT apologize but does any one else get heckled...
NOT THAT IT WILL STOP ME IN THE LEAST!!
I LOVE IT TOO MUCH...!
My friend I feel ya! i've been getting teased too...especially by my dad...he says that all women who knit never get married.(of course he doesn't know what he's talking about)..my sister says that i'm getting old too fast...and other people have asked as well why on earth am I knitting now...but who cares...I knit!! and I love it!! and I won't apologize for it either! :P they're just jealous!!
My Art (Drawings, photography, FKO)
My knitter's geek code
KCR+++ Exp SPM Steel++@ Wood+ Pl+ Syn(+) Cot+++ Lux+ Wool+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent? FI++* Int++@ Lace++* Felt++* Tex++* Flat++@Circ++@DPNS[5]ML2* !Swatch GaugeDK(++)W(+++)F(+++)S(+++) KIP(+++) EZ+ FO+(6) WIP+(++) Blog++ SNB- ALTCr+Sw+
What's yours?
Mo0nAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Dilly
2nd Sock, I Rock

My older sister...

I learned to knit just before my sister broke her arm snowboarding. The following year, she had surgery on that arm, and was out of commission for another season. She teased me mercilessly about my knitting for those two years. The next year, while she was leading a youth group sleepover for the girls club, one of the parent's came in and taught all the girls to knit. My sister has been addicted ever since and loves knitting just as much as I do.

Dilly -- Queen Snow-Geek the Pickle, Defender of Pigs
Originally Posted by AnreeAce
I'm a very busy person. Would I take the time out of my schedule to make your life miserable if I didn't care?
Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
Old Knitter
Knitting the Flap

I personally think it might be dangerous to heckle a person armed with two sharp objects.........
Old 09-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
horve1
Turning the Heel

Can't say I get heckled exactly, but at the moment I'm actually sort of ticked of at DH because of his lack of appreciation. And we "fight" all the time about the light while we're watching tv. I want it on so I can knit - and he can't understand why I don't just want to sit there like a blob, but actually want to do something productive with my time.
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Knitter
I personally think it might be dangerous to heckle a person armed with two sharp objects.........

My family teases about everything but its something we have always done.. so yes I get teased about it but its kinda in a fun sort of way while they are asking for me to knit something.. although my grandfather who runs the Hawks Nest State Tram said one day while I was up... the older women are about to drive me crazy with their fussin' they need to be at home with a cat on their lap knitting.. then he looked over where I was sitting with their cat on my lap knitting and just busted out laughing.. we all did...everyone in my family does some kind of craft/hobby rather its knitting, crocheting, wood work, or something so they get it...

however, I've never had anyone be mean about it most wanna learn or watch when I knit in public... I've always been told when someone does they are jealous.. so maybe they wanna learn but think they are to "cool" although knitting is cooler

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
I've been teased--but not meanly, and not often. Last year some of the male staff would make a comment about my knitting during our weekly meetings. I usually participated more than they did, so it wasn't a question of me being distracted.

I just tell them that it's a lot more productive than golf. That shuts them up.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

I don't really get heckled for knitting... The main problem is people blatantly asking me to knit something for them. Just practically demanding it by saying "Hey! Knit me a scarf!" Maybe if they asked me nicely and offered to pay for the yarn I would do it! I really like knitting for others, but when people expect me to knit something for them just because I have the ability to and they say so, it drives me up the wall!

In the market for Custom Software Development? Have a Security matter that needs addressing? Please check out my husband's company: http://www.netsenseusa.com
XbelovedXoneX is offline   Reply With Quote