Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
North East Vacation Ideas?
Five years ago was the last vacation dh and I made without kids. We went to San Francisco and had a blast.

So next year after the baby has weaned we want to go North East to see the changing of the seasons (and visit some awesome yarn shops). So sell me on a place (or two). I really don't have a clue where we should go. I'm so excited.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I agree 150% that you and your hubby should get away, just the 2 of you. Lonnie and I have always made a point of doing just that, even if it was just overnight in a town a few minutes away, it is time that we can spend together and it's one of the best things that we've done for our marriage. Of course, now our kids don't live at home, but we still take day trips and weekend trips together (other than vacations)!
As for the northeast, I don't know, I've not really been since I was a kid. I do love DC and Philly and NY, I went to NYC a few years ago and it's just great, you can't beat it! I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in your vacation...slow, romantic; fast-paced, lots of site-seeing, romantic or what...what do you all want to do?

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
It's also going to depend on when you realistically plan on going. The foliage turns much earlier in Maine than it does in CT.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Maine is beautiful, actually the leaves have already started to change here. A trip up the coast would be beautiful and romantic. lots of B & B's to visit. Lots of wonderful restaurants.... Portland has a variety of yarn places to drool in. Or go a bit inland and head for New Hampshire--up the Kancamagus Highway or through Grafton's Notch - incredible color.

'K will stop playing the Chamber of Commerce lol.

anne
sebago, ME

Reading:
"The Wolf in Winter" by John Connolly
Listening in the Car:
"The House on Tradd Street"
by Karen White

Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Amber
Working the Gusset

Newport, RI is a fun place. I love going to see the mansions!

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Boston! (No, I'm not biased because I went to school up there and am dying to move back. I don't know what you're talking about.)

Boston is a pretty city, clean, has good public transportation (seriously, don't drive in Boston. EVER. Take a cab or the T--that's the subway system. I repeat: do not drive in Boston. Between the bad drivers and the crazy street layout...just don't.) and is a good walking city--it's got a small town feel, and it's not hard to walk around, plus you find neat stuff!

I didn't start knitting until after graduating and coming home, so I can't comment on yarn stores, but I'm sure they exist.

And Boston has easy access to lots of pretty places where you can see the leaves--Salem is gorgeous and FUN in October, and Walden Pond is really pretty (where Thoreau used to live.) You will need a car to get to Walden, but the commuter rail goes to Salem. It's also not far to get to other New England states--1 hr to southern Maine, an hour to CT, 45 minutes to Providence, RI. Not sure how far to Vermont.
Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Yeah depending on how much time you are going to take and what you really want to see you could realistically spend time in all of the New England states in a week. The driving distance between all of them is so short. When I loved in CT we made the drive to Kittery Maine in about 4 hours. We were on a long weekend and managed to do MA, VT, ME, and of course CT that weekend. Granted we didn't spend a lot of time in each state and having more time would have been outstanding but it does go to show how easy it is to drive between the states.

(for reference it takes about five hours to drive all the way across Iowa...lol...really the states are close in NE! )
Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
JudyD
Turning the Heel

RE: NorthEast vacation ideas?
Repeats for us have been Mystic, CT, and Burlington, VT. A "don't miss" in Burlington is the Shelburne Museum...lots of quilts and lots of Americana.

JudyD
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

aaaah Mystic! (i am stalking this post...sorry...i MISS New England a LOT!!!)

Mystic is a delightful town...fun to walk around in...the seaport is great...and there is always Mystic Pizza to eat at just so you can say you have been there! (I don't think the pizza is THAT great but it is good.) Not far from Newport either!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #10
kellyjo32
Knitting the Flap

I'm with brendajos, they are all great and so close. DH and I drove from Maryland to Maine, stopping in every state along the way in about 11 days. We loved it!!! I must say, New Hampshire and Vermont are abosulety gorgeous! We were mountain biking a lot, so we got to see a lot of the land and forests. We also made it a point to visit tons of waterfalls along the way. We've been talking about going back in the fall to see the leaves...maybe next year. (we need a dreaming emoticon!) Bar Harbor in ME was our last stop, and it really let us down. We saw so many beautiful things in so many other states.
I highly recommend the mansions in Newport. They are amazing! We saw fireworks on the 4th of July in Burlington, VT, which was a nice little town, although we didn't get to see a whole lot at night. We didn't go to Boston, but I've been before, and that's a pretty interesting city as well. Lots to see and do! Salem was really interesting as well.
Monkey's in STR Titania
My So Called Scarf in Manos del Uruguay 115 (Flame)
Wonderful Wallaby in Berroco Ultra Alpaca
Dale of Norway Sheep Sweater
kellyjo32 is offline   Reply With Quote