Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #21
Rhyannon1970
1st Leg of the Journey

If you go to Mass, then you could check out Salem & then go to the beloved WEBS....Oh, heart be still...lol.

Rhy

Anywhere you go in the New England area is good for fall foilage, etc. What about Canada? You could come to Cricket Cove where i work.

Rhy
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cricketcoveincitymarket_178.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	31557  

Rhyannon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #22
knotmaker
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to knotmaker
Originally Posted by cawthraven
Boston!
I have to 2nd that! The Berkshire Mountians (Lenox, Great Barrington) are only about 2 hours from there. The White Mountians in New Hampshire are close, as are the the Green Mountians in VT. And at the time of the year there is SO much that goes on in all the little towns. Boy, I really do miss NE during the fall. It is just so pretty.

Check out my blog
knotbuilder on ravelry
If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me -Jimmy Buffett
knotmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #23
JLC
Instepping Out

Oh, I vote for Boston. I love Boston. The last time I was there was 2003 or 2004 (I think it was 2004?). A friend of mine who lives in MD came up and we spent the weekend in Boston. She decided we needed to walk the entire freedom trail, in MARCH. It wasn't horribly cold, and we had a great time, but there was a really large bridge we had to walk across (actually we ran across it jumping over the grates where you could see down into the water). There were two guys jogging behind us and they laughed at us the whole time. We grabbed tons of brochures and just left the hotel in the morning and wandered around all day.

There are some really scenic areas in Maine, but unfortunately, we hardly ever go to any of them, so I wouldn't know what to recommend. My brother just moved to Southwest Harbor, and he works in Bar Harbor now, but I haven't made it over to see him yet.
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #24
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
You guys are awesome! I'm still researching all this. DH is gona flip when I print this all out for him.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #25
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

I second Massachusetts! but the Berkshires. So many yarn shops to visit, not just Webs although that would be great. What about the Wool & Sheep Festival in Rhinebeck, NY in October!!!!???? (around the 17th) It's INCREDIBLE. And the area all around there is so pretty. You could combine it with NYC also.

P.S. although it is another knitting forum this is an excellent article on all the yarn stores in western mass. I want to visit them next summer....

http://knittersreview.com/article_ya...e/060706_a.asp

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #26
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I would def. vote Boston. I just moved there from CT last month and LOVE IT!!!! It’s such a great city, and there’s so much to do. Great shops and restaurants…and there are so many historical places to visit, very interesting. Take a Duck Tour and you can get a land and water tour of the city, they’re very fun. The science museum is great…there is now a really interesting exhibit until Jan. where they preserved real bodies (I haven’t gone yet, but I heard it’s a fantastic exhibit). Go to the top of the Prudential building for great views of the city. Other than Boston, I would suggest Portland Maine. It’s a small city, but there is a still ton to do (and there are lots of free things you can do too!!). Have fun planning your trip!!!

P.S. Windsor Buttons on Temple Place is a great yarn store to visit in Boston! xxx
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #27
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

We went to Boston/Maine for 12 days this summer. If I were to go back with just hubby, I would definately go to Bar Harbor, Maine. It was stunning. In Freeport Maine, right off the highway is a great yarn store -- I spent too much time in . Bar Harbor is a quaint town with gorgeous homes, lots of shopping and Acadia National Park, hiking, biking, climbing, etc. Lets see if I can actually attach a picture. This is the fog rolling into Bar Harbor just before dusk - it was amazig.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar_harbor.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	32124  

Finished one poncho
Finished one felted ugly purse/bag
Working on dishclothes to get my stitches down!
janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #28
jamiejeans
Knitting the Flap

Hi,

I would suggest the White Mountains area of NH and the NorthEast Kingdom area of Vermont in late Sept to early Oct. Absolutely beautiful! And peaceful.

Check out my neglected blog for finished objects and other humors:
www.squawkergirl.blogspot.com

My website: http://jamiejeanjewelry.com
MY ETSY:
http://jamiejeanjewelry.etsy.com
jamiejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #29
Chel
Turning the Heel

The whole time I was reading this post I was thinking of Longwood Gardens too. I love that place. I can not wait to go back. That was the last trip my best friend and I took before he died and I am so thankful that we went. It is breathtakingly gorgeous, romantic, peaceful, everything I would want in a trip.

In suggesting places to go it would be helpful to know more of what you were looking for in a trip. Do you like to walk? Museums? History? Shopping? Weird stuff? I am sure we can vector you towards whatever your vacationing goals are.

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #30
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

We've been all over New England, and I love it. Mass., Boston, Plymouth, Salem (especially if you're into history), All along the Maine coast for seafood (I can't eat it anymore since I developed a nasty allergy/sensitivity about five years back). We even lunched with the Senior Bushs and their bodyguards one afternoon, and if you can get up there, Bar Harbor was a great place. We also drove Moose Alley twice, but didn't see a real moose. One of the nicest "rides" we ever took was through New Hampshire (White Mountains) and Vermont (Green Mountains) on a "back road". Beautiful scenery, lots of antique-y places and I'm sure you'd fine a few cool yarn shops. There's a few outlet malls up that way too. Go, go, go! It's a wonderful place to visit and I'd love to live there (not, however, in January or February. LOL!! )
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote