Old 09-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

Question about "Knitting from the Top" by Barbara
If someone who has the book "Knitting from the Top" by Barbara G. Walker could answer a question for me, I'd really appreciate it!

In the book, are the top-down sweaters with set-in, drop-shoulder, raglan, and saddle sleeves all made in one piece to minimize finishing?

Thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Yes, all of those, plus more (sleeveless top, cape/poncho, pants, skirts, I don't remember what else), with a number of variations given for each basic pattern.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
losnana
Working the Gusset

Knittiing from the top
Didn't realize there was a whole book on this subject. I have a few patterns in Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English, but I've never made one. I'd be interested in opinions from those who have tried the Top Down patterns.
losnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

The emphasis in Walker's book is definitely on try-it-on-as-you-go simplicity, whereas the Righetti book requires you to take a lot of measurements and do a bunch of math to get a tailored fit. They're both good, but for different reasons. I prefer the Walker approach myself. I did the set-in sleeve pullover and it worked out really well.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

ooh... i'm going to have to stop at the library and check this one out.
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

Thanks so much! Sounds like just what I'm looking for!