Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
AKARonnieTorres
Casting On

Blocking with foam mats
I've read several places that those children's foam puzzle mats work great for blocking. I really hate the idea of buying some expensive blocking board. I am curious to see if anyone has tried blocking with these foam boards, and if so, what you think of it. I'm trying to figure out if there is a specific type of foam and thickness that I should be looking for, or if any cheap foam mat will do. I usually just use my ironing board but I have a lap blanket that I need to block and the ironing board will obviously not work well for this.

Thanks!
AKARonnieTorres is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I've thought about getting those mats, but haven't yet.

For larger items, my bed works pretty good. Or a sheet/towel spread out on a carpeted floor.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Yeah, I would think the foam mats of most any quality would work. Along with Mirl56 I use a bed.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

I don't use the kid mats, but I did get the interlocking blocking mats on knitpicks and it's really convenient to be able to configure it how I like. My biggest obstacle in blocking is my cats.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
AKARonnieTorres
Casting On

Thanks guys! I was considering just using my bed as well but I was concerned that my bed would get soggy and mildew-ish. I suppose the towel idea is a good one. I may try that for now and see how that works out.

Danisty, I have cats as well. I guess the trick is to find a fur-free space and try to keep them out while the piece is blocking. Not as easy as it may sound, I know.

There are so many methods for blocking! Some people use blocking wires, boards, etc. Others don't use any special equipment at all. I suppose it's best to just try things out and see what your personal preference is. I'll start with the cheapest method first

I appreciate the replies!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
AKARonnieTorres
Casting On

Quote:
I don't use the kid mats, but I did get the interlocking blocking mats on knitpicks and it's really convenient to be able to configure it how I like.
I think I'll check those out too! Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

The KnitPicks interlocking mats are great. Break down, store easily unlike my huge blocking board. Glad I bought the mats. For me, it is where do I put them? No empty bed(s), counter space not convenient and getting down on the floor is a joke.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote