Old 09-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Amy282
Casting On

Reverse Unravelling & Knitting in Opposite Direction
Hello Everyone!

I searched the site for an answer to this question, but only found the one on grafting, which isn't what I need.

Question: I am just a few rows away from finishing a most beautiful scarf. The only problem is that the first 15-20 rows need to be ripped out. I'm talking about the rows on the finished end, not the live stitch end.

Can this be done?

If so, I'd like to either rip those stitches out, "bind off" and be done...OR pick up the live stitches and knit in the opposite direction. The scarf is composed of hundreds of hand-tied yarns in multiple colors, so I'm not worried about the ripping back and re-knitting part showing up as a mistake.

Can someone help me??

Thanks so much!
Amy
Amy282 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I just did this to some sweater sleeves. It was not as easy as I thought it would be--it was a k4, p1 rib, and the yarn didn't want to unravel at the purls. I think it would have been easier if it was just knit stitches, though.

What I did was pull a tapestry needle with yarn through one loop along a row of stitches to hold those. I tried to unravel, but since it was so difficult, I cut off most of the remaining knitting and pretty much picked out the rest. Then I inserted a needle and got all the stitches oriented in the right direction, making sure they all were on the same row. They weren't, so I had to slip some and tink some until it was all even.

Once I got all the 'extra' stitches off, knitting the other direction was no problem. I took off a straight portion that was too long in favor of ribbing, so the difference wouldn't have shown in that case, anyway.

I think that once you get a row of stitches on a needle and knit in the opposite direction, it wouldn't really show, anyway.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Amy282
Casting On

Thank you, Ingrid,

Fortunately, the entire scarf is garter stitch, so hopefully I won't have quite as arduous a task as you did with your sleeves...

I will try it out on a swatch first to make sure I understood your directions, first. It sounds like it's "do-able", though!

As always, I appreciate your help!

Take care,
Amy
Old 09-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Check out the video on fixing mistakes and inserting a destination row. I'd post a link, but it seems when I do that, my computer freezes up. They're in the Basic Techniques--More section.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

This might be helpful.

http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/1285

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Amy282
Casting On

Thanks Jane,

I love that website on grafting! It's very comprehensive, yet easy to follow.

Just a little update, I was able to successfully unravel my garter stitch swatch from the finished end, then begin knitting in the opposite direction! I did end up having to whip out the scissors and cut, however, because - duh, garter has those pesky purls! Thankfully, it worked just fine. My only caveat is to stay further away from the stitches you're trying to preserve than you think you'll need. I cut about 3/4" to 1" away from my needle-thread stitches, and ended up nipping an important stitch. I was later able to re-tie it, but who wants that!

So thankyou Jane and Ingrid for all of your help!

Take care,
Amy
Old 09-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

IngridKH on Ravelry