Old 09-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Knitting-teacher
Ribbing the Cuff

Rosewood, Surina, or Brittany Birch knitting needles?
Hello Everybody,

I am planning to try out some wooden needles as I am finding my aluminium needles hurt after I have been using them for a while, the problem of getting old I guess. :thinking: I would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions on these types of needles, especially if anybody can compare them.

Thank you
Christine
Knitting-teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-16-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

I'm sorry you're having pain. My hands ache sometimes, but it's usually after I've sent the DH off to a football game and spent 6 hours knitting the never-ending navy sock WITH the Brittany Birch needles. Once I changed to Knit Picks DPNs I've knit on without any pain whatever. My LYS carries only BB DPNs and I've got a slew of those things and have put them in the 'only in emergencies' category. The points are super blunt and yarn doesn't slide, you have to push your stitches along. I've used the rosewood a couple of times and they are lots better than the BBs but still not as nice as my Knit Picks. I hope you feel better today.
Nikki

Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

What is it about aluminum needles that make your hands hurt? Do they get too heavy after awhile?

I really love knitting with rosewood. I personally find it to be smoother than the Brittany's. I love Brittany's but I don't knit very fast with them. I've never knit with Surina.

I would handle all three types, consider what you knit, and think about the smoothness of each pair. If you want DPN's, but are concerned with your stitches sliding off, then Brittany's might be the way to go. If you're worried about knitting too tightly and the yarn not sliding enough, then rosewood might be the right type of needle. You might also want to consider bamboo. Bamboo is lovely to knit with. Very smooth, and very light. I think they're a little stronger too, which is important with the smaller sizes.

Also, if you're accustomed to using straight needles, circulars might also ease the pain in your hands. I find it much more comfortable to knit with circulars, especially with larger projects, as the weight gets distributed more evenly.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I dont like Brittany's at all. They are not smooth and slidey. You may want to try Crystal Palace... those are my FAVORITE DPNs. Smooth and PREEETY.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

So funny how tastes differ - I LOVE my Brittany's. I think they're the most comfotable dpns I have. I guess you really have to try out few and see what suits you.

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
gimmesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Knitting-teacher
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you for your feedback.

The reason my hands, well more my thumbs, hurt is that I have odd thumb joints which means I can't bend my thumbs as far as most people. I have never been able to knit for really long periods at a time but it seems to be getting worse. This Summer I got chatting to another lady while on a train and she was explaining that she no longer knits as she can't get bone needles any more and the "modern" ones don't give. I started to wonder if that was my problem and I am hoping that wooden needles will suit me better.

I have never heard of Knit Picks or Crystal Palace, I will go and look for them and I will also have a go at using circulars and bamboo to see if they improve the situation.
Christine xxx
Old 09-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
Celine
Turning the Heel

I have it all...
My favorite knitting needles were wooden and bamboo. Then I got a set of Denise Interchangeables. Now they are my favorite. I pretty much knit exclusively with my Denise. But I still use my wooden and bamboo on occassion. I do not use the aluminum ones at all any more.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
fluffypechey
Knitting the Flap

Hi there

I have pain from arthritis and although I have not used the needle you have. I find the circular less painful. I knit the european way (I think) where you throw the yarn over. When I watch the videos on here I wish I could knit like that. I cant seem to hold my wool the way they do in the videos. My way causes pain in my shoulders and arms.

Maybe I should try. Having knitted this way for many years though (needle under my arm) its hard to change.

Try the circulars I find they do help.

Good Luck hope you pain is gone or bearable.

Sharon

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cat.

A cat acts the way it feels.

A LOOPA lover here ;-)
fluffypechey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

I just started a new sock(because I got new yarn from KP ) and because my KP DPNs size 2 were in the never-ending navy sock, I dug through my stuff and found a set of size 2 Bry-Flex DPNs by Bryspun. Boy do they ever flex! I know they make straight needles too because I have a pair size 10 that I needed for a class. If you are looking for a flexable needle with a decent point do give these a try. I like them better than those Birch needles.
Nikki

Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #10
Knitting-teacher
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you for all the input on knitting needles. I have found a company based in Scotland http://www.scottishfibres.co.uk/index.html which does Rosewood and Ebony in straight, flexible and circular so I have decided to order a pair of Rosewood and Ebony in straight and flexible to try them out. I will let you know what I think of them.

Christine xxx