Old 09-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Gayle
Casting On

Shaping Sweater Neckline
I am working the left front of a sweater. The directions are: "Work to correspond to Right Front, reversing all shaping and eliminating buttonholes." I am at the point where I need to begin shaping. The directions for the RF are: "Shape neck: BO at neck edge on RSR. . . and then gives the stitch countdown shaping the neckline to the shoulder stitches. So, to shape th Left Front, do I start the binding off on the wrong side row? (This sweater is made with the front, sides, and back all on the same needle. The shoulders are knitted together (another problem for later on). The sleeves are worked separately and then sewn on. ) Can anyone help me?
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Yes, to reverse shaping, do the bind-offs on the wrong side row in this case. I generally think of a sweater having an armhole edge and neck edge. If I'm working on the correct edge for that side of the sweater, it makes it easier to make sure I'm doing it right than thinking about 'wrong side' and 'right side.'

When you do the three-needle bind off on the shoulders you'll love it. It makes the best shoulder seams!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Gayle
Casting On

Thanks for your help! I can go back to work now. I am glad to hear that the 3 needle bind-off is that good--I have never heard of it before. I'll keep you posted.

Gayle
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote