Old 09-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
itsazoo
Ribbing the Cuff

Yarn stores in CT MA? HELP Hubby says only ONE yarn store
Hi to everyone!

I'm a fairly new knitter with an addiction to yarn stores. We are driving from NY through central and northern CT to Deerfield MA. I checked the map I found here and there are a few stores to choose from. I want to stop at all of them but in the spirit of compromise I've aggreed to pick just one. So I want to try and find the best one.

Does anyone have suggestions or do you know of a site that rates stores?
itsazoo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Jeremy
Mod Squad

WEBs in North Hampton MA no doubt about it. It looks like its on your way.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
burnsie9999
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to burnsie9999
There is also Northampton Wools in Northampton MA too. They are just down the road from Webs.

I live in Western Mass and those are about the only two I know of. I think there is a yarn store in hartford called sit -n- knit too, but I have never been there.
burnsie9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I second the suggestion to check out WEBS!! This is actually the largest yarn store in the country, including their warehouse, which people can browse. There's plenty to see in their main showroom/store, though, and it's big without being overwhelming. Go with a few projects in mind, because if you spend $60 or more on yarn, they'll give you 20% off your whole order. If you spend $120, you get 25% off.

By the way, WEBS is also www.yarn.com --you can check out their selection online if you want a sneak peek!

Have fun!!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Scathach
Ribbing the Cuff

I love my LYS in Coventry Connecticut. Its called The Knitting Nook. Its a very nice little shop, the owner is extremely friendly and helpful. I am in yarn heaven every time i go in there. She just started up a website so i assume you can get directions from there if your in the Coventry area. If your passing through check it out! http://www.knittingnookyarn.com/
Scathach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
itsazoo
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! Northampton Wool and Webs are both close to the hotel we're staying at. The website for Webs is great. I think he's really going to stick to his guns about "only one yarn store." I hate choosing between things I don't know about.

Is there a website where you can rate stores? I hearing other people's experiences.

There is a craft festival in Old Deerfield and the Big E this weekend which is the reason for the trip.

One day I'm going to plan a trip where the only goal is getting to yarn shops-but he probably won't go with me.
itsazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #7

Originally Posted by burnsie9999
I think there is a yarn store in hartford called sit -n- knit too, but I have never been there.
It's technically in Farmington which is very close to Hartford (just in case you are looking it up).

I've been to this store a few times and the women there are very nice (one even let me try her Denises before I bought my pair). But it is quite small. Most yarn stores I've gone to aren't huge, but are a decent size, but this one is quaint, to put it nicely.

I don't want to make it sound like it's not a good store, but if WEBS is as great as everyone says, then I would go there instead.