Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Gorgeous Knitted Spiral Counterpane Blanket
Here is a finished picture in a blog I happened to stumble upon.

http://knityousucka.blogspot.com/200...e-blanket.html

Once I saw that picture I HAD to make this. This blanket calls my name! And my social security number! I HAVE TO HAVE IT!

The pattern is found in the book "Knitting Counterpanes" by Mary Walker Phillips. ISBN 0-918804-98-1 It has pictures of each piece of this blanket on page 39, the pattern is on the preceeding pages. On page 2 there is a picture of a completed blanket.

I also have to mention the poem on the dedication page of this book. It is so sweet and has brought tears to my eyes.

The Land of Counterpane
by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

Isn't that sweet? I hope someone marches leaden soldiers or Polly Pockets through these swirls and across my stitches someday.

I am not sure when I will start mine as I can't decide what color, and I want to make sure I buy enough yarn. I would like to knit it up on size 8s with worsted weight. I'll test it out and figure it out from there. I am planning on having my friend crochet the edge.

This is a long term project for me. I would love to share the experience with you all.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

that's gorgeous! There's a thread about it here
Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
mshelton
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm in on this spiral counterpane coverlet. We will be in San Antonio on Saturday so I will check the Yarn Barn for the needles and #3 thread. I am going to try size 1 double points but don't know if I have the skills to use 5 double points at once. I thought about going to a larger size but I'm afraid that it might make the coverlet too heavy. Of course, I would want it big enough to cover a bed. What do you think? This will be a new experience for me. I expect to go slow on this as I'm working on the Spirit of the Southwest shawl now and plan on knitting several scarfs for Xmas presents too. Hildegard, that's a different counterpoint piece. Why don't you join us!!!!
mshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

MsShelton, While you are at the Yarn Barn go check out the Lang Silk Dream! My dh got me some for my birthday there. Funny story. I gotta put it in my blog later. Petting it is a dream and the experience of knitting it oh my, it is sooo nice. It's a merino and silk and a little pricey.

I'm very curious to know what size each piece comes out to on these different size needles.

As far as using 5 needles, try it! It's so much easier then it sounds. Each 1/4 will have its own needle and the fifth will be the working needle.

Eeeeee I'm getting excited!

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
mshelton
1st Leg of the Journey

I just ordered double point needles from Knitpicks for this. Then I proceeded to order the Options set, and several skeins of laceweight, and fingering yarns, etc. for other projects. I love the Yarn Barn so I can play with all the pretties but I tend to purchase cheaper yarns on line. I will check out the Lang Silk dream tho and their crochet thread. I think I will drop by JoAnn's today and see what they have in crochet thread. I might buy one skein if they have a #3 to see how it knits up. After research on the web, it appears that #3 is almost close to sports weight but #10 (smaller thread) seems to be most available. I think I will go with an antique rose color if I can find it. I'm excited tooooooo! I've tried double point needles for a pair of socks and it's the only project that I put aside and never finished. I stopped knitting for a couple of months last year when I burned out and just never got back to them for some reason. Maybe because I lost one of the needles (but recently found under the rug) . Are you very experienced with knitting?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

I want in on this SO badly, but I just can't right now. Not only can I not get the book for a while (dh is on leave for a month & all our "extra" money is going to our vacation expenses), but I have SO much Christmas knitting left to do and such a short time to do it in.

I hope to be able to join after a while, though.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
mshelton
1st Leg of the Journey

knitaddict--I am learning about this and obtaining supplies but I will not be able to work on this much as I also have Xmas gifts pending. So just join us when you can as I'm sure that it will still be going on. By the way, I just asked questions at the Historical knitting group on Yahoo groups about yarn sizing and sources and I was given the site listed below for possible #3 perle or pearl yarns. It does appear to be sports weight. I just ordered their $2.00 sample card so I can actually see the colors. I think this will be cheaper than buying from local craft/yarn stores. I'm sure that they have other yarn/thread sizes too.

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/Yarn_pages/yarn082.html

Pixiewhispers--what yarn do you plan on using.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #8
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by mshelton
Are you very experienced with knitting?
I want the options so bad! You'll have to give a full review.

I've been knitting for 4 years this October. I wouldn't say I'm super experienced, but I have done a variety of things. I can knit booties, socks, hats, a few sweaters for babies, a little bit of lace. I love to just swatch and see if I can do something. I've swatched and done some dishrags with 5 needles. I can look at a piece of lace and write a pattern for it. That knowledge comes from lots of mistakes on lace. What I lack in experience I make up for in perseverence.

Come visit my blog.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knitaddict
I want in on this SO badly, but I just can't right now. Not only can I not get the book for a while (dh is on leave for a month & all our "extra" money is going to our vacation expenses), but I have SO much Christmas knitting left to do and such a short time to do it in.

I hope to be able to join after a while, though.
Knitaddict, This is going to be a longterm project for me. I'm not sure when I will be able to budget it in. And then once I start it may take me a while. So I know I will be here.

Come visit my blog.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by mshelton
Pixiewhispers--what yarn do you plan on using.
I have no clue.! I am going to do one spiral on 8's with some encore and see how that goes. I do not want to go smaller then 6's. It's going to take long enough for me. But once I do one up on 8s I will have a better idea where I'm going with this.

Tahki is the only cotton I like that I have worked with. But that would be a fortune! I havent used the one you sent a link of. Whatever I use it has to be washable (four kids 11-almost 1). My kids do respect my stuff (mostly) but if I made it out of something unforgiving and they did something to it I would have a hard time. I may go with Encore, or Caron Simply soft. I did a swatch for another project and have been washing it over and over again and it looks great.

Come visit my blog.