Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
cherokee
Casting On

Pattern Question- Work Even?
I am a newbie to knitting, only been knitting 2 weeks.......('')
I am making a bolero for my daughter and in the pattern it says to "work even until armhole measures 8". The stitch I am using is ST st. In another section of the pattern it will also say "Work 1 row even"

What is it referring to when it uses the word "even"?
Below is an example from the pattern.......

Row 1 (Right Side): Knit.
Row 2: Cast on 2 sts, P to end 14 (16, 18) sts.
Rep the last 2 rows 6 more times 26 (28, 30) sts. Now inc 1 st at end (center front edge) of every K row 4 times 30 (32, 34) sts. Work even until side (straight) edge measures 6 (6 1/2, 7)", end P row. Mark first st at center front edge of last row

Shape Armhole and Front Slope: Bind off 4 sts at beg and dec 1 st at end of next row 25 (27, 29) sts. Work 1 row even. Dec 1 st at armhole edge on next 4 rows AND AT THE SAME TIME dec 1 st at neck edge every 4th row from previous dec 8 (9, 10) more times 13 (14, 15) sts. Work even until armhole measures same as back to shoulder, end P row.

cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

When a pattern tells you to work even, it means to work in the stitch pattern with no increases, decreases or other stuff.

So, in stockinette, work even means knit one row, purl one row.

Does that help?

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
cherokee
Casting On

Thanks....
Thanks AnreeAce.......
Why did I not think of that....boy figuring out some of the pattern instructions are tough when you are just learning to knit. It seems confusing at times.
Thanks again for your help.........maybe I will get all this one day......
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

You're most welcome!

Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting. Truly a devine obsession.

Originally Posted by cherokee
maybe I will get all this one day......
Maybe I will too!

Rest assured, every time there's a new technique you don't understand, there's plenty of people here to help!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote