Old 09-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to sjr
I still can't do a wrap and turn
I watched the video and have tried to figure this out over and over again. My poor yarn is permanently stretched, I think! The way I am reading the directions, " bring the yarn forward, slip the last unworked stitch from left to right needle, turn, and slip the first unworked stitch from left to right needle and purl the rest of the stitches", I manage to just have the yarn there without anything having happened. There is no wrapping and I don't get when it actually wraps. That slipped stitch is just there by itself and when I go to purl the next stitch, the yarn is there to be purled because I put it there in the step above, so the slipped stitch hasn't been touched at all. I am obviously off-base here somewhere! Help! Sally
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I hear ya. Mine always look wonky. What are you making? If it happens to be socks, the Sherman sock has mitered toes and heels that don't require wrapping. I'll find the link if you're interested.

If you're set on doing short rows, check out

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonakni...o_short_r.html

She teaches a few different methods, including a wrapped one that I believe is a little different from Amy's. Maybe one of the others will work better for you.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Quote:
bring the yarn forward, slip the last unworked stitch from left to right needle, turn, and slip the first unworked stitch from left to right needle and purl the rest of the stitches"

When you turn the work around, bring the yarn through to the front between the needles to get ready to purl, and that slipped stitch that you put on the right-hand needle will now be on the left hand needle. You now slip it again to the right-hand neelde, and voila! it's wrapped! Take a look at it, and it will look like it's wearing a little muffler.

Hope this helps!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
Angelia

Hee, Julie! It does look like it's wearing a little muffler--that's how I always check to see where the wraps are!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Why can't I do this wrap????
OK. I think I have isolated my problem. Because the pattern calls for the last stitch in the row to be slipped, etc., there is NO "between" the needles, because the stitch has been slipped, leaving one needle bare. So the yarn going back and forth from front to back does nothing. Does this compute??? This is driving me nuts! Sally
Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
I replied to one of your previous posts on this problem. My reply can be found here.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Sally!! I was just trying to reply to the PM you sent me, and I came out here to re-read the pattern instructions, and it looks like you've got it!! Hooray!!

Remember ... you can always take a picture to show us what you have. Sometimes that's the best way. Also, if you can take your project to your yarn shop, they might be your best resource if you're REALLY stuck!! Nothing like having someone sitting right there watching what you're doing!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Wrap and turn
Thanks for all the help suggestions. I'm giving up until I can get to a knitting store. Sally