Old 09-26-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Help! Missing stitches.
I'm knitting a blanket for my husband. It's 210 stitches (I had stitch markers every 10 stitches). Well, I messed up and decided to frog it back about 8 rows. I threaded an options cable through the row I wanted to get back to before I did it. Once I froggged it and reknit the first row (placing markers as I went) I ended up with an extra marker. I counted and realized I had only 200 stitches.

I can't see any dropped stitches at all. I don't see any decreases and as far as I know, I had 210 stitches all the way until the row where I decided to frog it, so does anybody have ANY idea where I may have lost those 10 stitches?
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
It's hard to say without seeing it. I'd probably tink back one stitch at a time for a row or two and see if I can discover where it happened, checking each stitch to see that it looks 'normal.'

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Gah! I was afraid someone was gonna say that. This blanket is on my last nerve.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Would it be less vexing to thread your needle into a destination row a little bit below where you are now and then rip down to there? At least you know you'll be at the right place when you're done. Plus, you'll have the thrill of frogging a little.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I dunno. That's exactly how I ended up with missing stitches in the first place (at least that's how I discovered I was missing stitches). I'm working on knitting back a couple rows. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try frogging back a couple more. If THAT doesn't work, can I just throw in YO's every 15 or so stitches to get back to 210? Or will it look weird?

I just don't get how a blanket that's knit in alternating garter and stockinette stripes can be giving me such trouble. I'm knitting one for my sister that's a ripple afghan. It has YO's and decreases every other row and I haven't had a single problem with it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by SabrinaJL
I dunno. That's exactly how I ended up with missing stitches in the first place (at least that's how I discovered I was missing stitches).
Oops. How'd I miss that? Does it look narrower now that when you started? Maybe there were only 100 to begin with and that extra marker just um.... spontaneously appeared. Yeah. Like uh, through a wormhole or something.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I don't know if I would do yo's unless I thought holes would add to the look of it.

I think I would knit in the frount and back to increase if I didn't want the holes.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the tip, MAmaDawn! I'm so glad I asked before messing with it, as I really don't want it to have holes.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Check out Amy's page on increases, make sure to read the top before you start, then just pick the one you like the best!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...s/increase.php

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote