Old 09-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
NYcarrie
Ribbing the Cuff

How do you know if you are knitting too tight/loose?
I'm kind of new to knitting, and I am still working on things like scarves and shawls so that gauge isn't too important, but I don't understand how you are supposed to be able to tell if you are knitting too tight or too loose?

How do you know if you need to go up a needle or down a needle? Is there a way to tell on just a simple scarf?

Thanks,

Carrie
NYcarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

If you have a pattern, it will give you a gauge to shoot for, but for all those other occasions... something I read in a book is that you can tell that your knitting is too tight if it feels stiff, and too loose if you can stretch it and it doesn't spring back. (I don't think the too loose thing would apply to lace since it's supposed to be that way, but you get the idea.) I'd start with the needle size given on the yarn label and see how you like the drape of the fabric. You can adjust up or down from there.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Braden
Instepping Out

I am a loose knitter, and that usually gives me a softer result, but if I get the right gauge, it ususally comes out the way it is supposed to.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You knitting will evolve into the right tension for YOU. Each knitter's gauge is individual to them. Let it happen. If you consciously try to knit tighter or looser, eventually your mind will wander and you'll return to what's 'natural' for you.

I automatically start a swatch with a needle size larger than the pattern calls for because I know that I generally knit a little tighter than average. Occasionally, though I'm right on with the needle size suggested in the pattern. I have to assume that the designer knits a little tightly, too.

Just keep knitting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote