Old 09-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
Knitabit
1st Leg of the Journey

How to choose a decrease type?
My ambition exceeds my skill! I have integrated a simple pattern stitch into a beret pattern (which called for just stockinette). Now I'm at the decrease stage and am not sure how to do the decreases while preserving the pattern stitches I stuck in.

I've browsed several hat and beret patterns, and each one seems to have a different decrease style. Any suggestions? I'd like to understand how to predict how the finished product will look based on the decrease style I use.

Thanks!
Knitabit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Amy has pictures and instructions for several types of decreases here. HTH

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Decreases in knit are generally k2tog or ssk (aka skpo - sl, k1, pass sl st over). K2tog makes the decrease lean toward the right; ssk makes it lean toward the left. It just depends where the decrease occurs and how you want it to look.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote