Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

Should I try a natural fiber to knit with??
I have used acrylic since I started knitting(3 mos) ago and am pleased with the results so far.But i keep hearing everyone say how great alpaca, wool, silk and malabrigo are. It is more expensive, you get less yarn (3.5oz on the average) and it's not machine washable.
Would anyone like to share why the feel natural fibers are better?
would apprectiate your input as I am thinking this over
aineepooh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Most of the 'natural' fibers just feel better to knit with. There are many acrylics out there that are soft, but after working with the soft natural fibers, the acrylics feel like plastic to me. It's a shame, because acrylics are good for a lot of things--I just can't stand the feel of it anymore. I can use a blend, like Encore, but straight acrylic, no.

Superwash wools are machine washable, and they're very soft, so you get the best of both worlds there.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've used both, depending on what I'm making. But 100% wool isn't near as soft as a lot of acrylics. Merino and alapacas, yes, they're yummy, but I won't be making things from plain wool.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
You should absolutely try something besides acrylic. Once you try it, you'll be able to decide for yourself. It's true that a lot of them aren't washable but you can't beat the feel and breathability of them!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

I'm with Ingrid. The first time I knit with natural fibers I knew I could never go back to acrylic. It has a completely different feel to it. To me acrylic has a harsh, cold, somewhat sticky feel. Compared to natural fibers, it's not a good insulator so it doesn't keep you as warm. From an ecological point of view, acrylic is a product of the petroleum industry whereas natural fibers are a natural, renewable resource.

There are rough wool yarns certainly but many of them are not. Merino wools are especially soft. As Ingrid mentioned there are types of wool that have been specially treated so that they can be washed without felting called Superwash wools. Alpaca, mohair, silk, cashmere, and other fibers all have their charms and are different from one another. If you want to try natural fibers without breaking your budget try Elann.com. They have some great discounts on yarns.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
it is everything i can do to keep from stopping people from using acrylics...i know they are great for many things but they maketh me crazy...i just don't like the feel. I don't like spending crazy amounts of money on yarn but i will definitely spend more for what i perceive to be better quality. Do you have a local yarn shop in your area where you can go to experience other fibers?

anyway you look at it, there are great reasons to use acrylics...one of the very good reasons is that not everybody can use natural fibers because of allergies and another is cost. you are definitely right...in most cases you do get more yardage from acrylics. when i first started knitting i couldn't imagine ever wanting anything other than Lion Brand.....and then i went to the LYS....*sigh* i am pretty sure the LYS is the reason I keep the second job...lol
Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by Calamintha
I'm with Ingrid. The first time I knit with natural fibers I knew I could never go back to acrylic. It has a completely different feel to it. To me acrylic has a harsh, cold, somewhat sticky feel. Compared to natural fibers, it's not a good insulator so it doesn't keep you as warm. From an ecological point of view, acrylic is a product of the petroleum industry whereas natural fibers are a natural, renewable resource.
Heh. I find things I've made with acrylic much hotter than wool.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

When I'm knitting with acrylic, it's warm, but it doesn't wick moisture away, so my hands get all sweaty and gross.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

I knit with both acrylic and natural fibers. No need to be exclusionary. Find something you like and go for it. After all, variety is the spice of life!

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
horve1
Turning the Heel

I use both, but prefer natural fibers for most things. The bottom line, IMHO, is try everything you can afford, and then use what you like!
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote