Old 09-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mienna Send a message via MSN to Mienna Send a message via Yahoo to Mienna
newbie spinning question
I don't even know if this is an issue, or if it's how it's supposed to look... yes.. I'm that much of a newbie here.

This is the yarn here. If I am doing something wrong, could someone tell me how to fix it? I figured out it's much easier to use less fiber, the spindle spins muuuuch easier. Any more tips would be wonderful!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

You mean the little squiggly parts? That just happens when you overspin a bit -- I can't tell you exactly how to fix it, just that as you practice and your yarn gets more consistent, it will get better. At least that's what happened to me -- my first few attempts at yarn were horribly overspun, then something clicked I guess, because it doesn't happen any more. I think that as you spin more you learn how much twist you need to keep the fiber together without overdoing it.

Keep going...and good luck!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mienna Send a message via MSN to Mienna Send a message via Yahoo to Mienna
That's kinda what I figured, I tried it once before and I think I was using too much fiber, and the spindle is alot heavier then I thought it would be. I'm enjoying it none the less, and my bf seems to be fascinated with watching me.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
Practice, practice, practice. I just managed to spin two spindles full of fiber with no squiggles at all. It almost freaked me out! Now that I said it out loud, it won't happen again! LOL Really though, I wouldn't worry on it. All yarn is beautiful.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm glad I'm not the only one, hehe. I think I was spinning it too quickly, so I tried giving it less hmph (technical term) and it seemed to get better, but not great. Not that I really care, I'm lovin' it anyway.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Silver
Instepping Out

Don't concentrate too much about NOT overspinning until you have a little experience in plying. When you ply two singles together, you twist them in the opposite direction that they were spun in, which naturally untwists them a little. SO... you if you intentionally try to spin your singles with less twist, you may find that there's not enough twist in them when you want to ply them.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

ooh, I hadn't thought about that, hmmm. Thanks for the tip!