Old 09-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
sabrah1033
Casting On

When and where to decrease?
I found this London Beanie on www.Headhuggers.org that I wanted to knit for my stepdad but his head is really big! The circumference is 24"! So I figured I would alter the size by casting on 102 sts. instead of 72 sts. It sounded good and works well with the K2, P1 ribbing on the bottom. I don't think I had any real reasoning to it. My question is when do I start the decreases and how often do I do it?

I tried a hat pattern generator http://www.thedietdiary.com/knitting...s/TopForm.html but I can't seem to work it for the 102 cast on. They want me to cast on 144 sts for a simple roll brim hat(the ski cap generator doesn't seem to be working.

I either need to find a pattern that will fit his head or someone to tell me if there is a general formula for figuring out the decreases.

Oh I almost forgot. I am using the magic loop method with my Knitpicks circs size 6. The yarn is Patons Classic Wool 100% merino. I am getting 6.5 spi but I forgot what the rpi is. I am willing to go up or down in needle size if need be.

Can anyone help me? I have cast on, frogged, cast on, and frogged so many I am ready to give up. This cap is to be a Chanukah present for him. He will be wearing it to bed as he is completely bald and he says his head gets too cold at night.

Thank you for your help,
Aviva
www.dragonflyknits.wordpress.com [/url]
sabrah1033 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
This site is a good generator for figuring out how many stitches you need based on your gauge and head size. It also has a good formula for decreases.

What I'd do with 102 stitches is to decrease it to 100, then work your decreases as:

(work every other row even)
k8, k2tog
k7, k2tog
k6, k2tog, etc, until you get down to k2, k2tog. Then you can work k2tog all the way across, working an even row in between, until you're down to a few stitches.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
sabrah1033
Casting On

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!! This is the best generator I have found. And I have been looking still since I posted this. My stepdad's head will not go cold this winter. Thank you again Ingrid!

Aviva
www.dragonflyknits.wordpress.com
sabrah1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
Glad it helped!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote