Old 10-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
cgd
1st Leg of the Journey

Great advice! I agree that beginners should definitely stick to simple rectangular projects at first, or even just do some squares. I started with dishcloths with knit and purl stitches only, and this was enough to frustrate me! I started with cotton, which might not have been a good idea, but I wanted the cloths to be useable. I also knitted with cheap acrylic because I didn't want to waste money, and I still knit some stuff with Caron Simply Soft because it's easy care and I like it.

It took me some time and experience to get to where I didn't totally frog and start over from scratch. The more I knit, the more I'm able to fix mistakes successfully and make some fewer, though I get distracted still. There's no substitute for this time, at least there wasn't in my case. So I would add that we newbs need to be patient. We're not going to learn everything overnight or knit a cabled, multicolored, DPN project the first week out. I don't know if practice makes perfect, as I'll never be perfect at this, but it sure does give you better judgment and expand your abilities to know what your mistakes are and fix them.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
Diamonznpurlz
Ribbing the Cuff

I still consider myself a newbie although I have knit many simple garter stitch scarves, a ribbed hat or two, a baby sweater (so cute! - working on second one same pattern, different yarn) and half way through a tank for myself which I am frustrated with....

Anyhow, what I wanted to say, is that everyone's advise is right on. And, I too must chime in to say that I LOVE THIS SITE! Everyone has been such great help along the way. I have found knitters as a whole are really nice people.!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
Chrissie
Knitting the Flap

that's great advice...I'm also a very new knitter (just learned last Tuesday!) and I made a bunch of swatches before really doing anything. I made a garter stitch swatch, a stockinette swatch, and a ribbed stitch (2x2) swatch. I made a quick garter stitch scarf and put fringe on it. Now I'm working on a nice 2x2 ribbed scarf that is turning out quite nicely...I've made a couple mistakes on it but I've been teaching myself to "unknit" and fix the mistakes!
Chrissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
GennyLynn1962
Instepping Out

Wow Chrissie, sounds like you are doing great. You have done more than I have and started after I did.

Everyone has given me great advice. As far as yarn goes I haven't worked with many different ones. Only what I can buy here at the craft stores or department stores. I don't feel like I can spend much on yarn until I can actually finish a few things first, and learn more of the stitches.

I just don't have the time I would like to to devote to knitting. All those things like, work, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc get in the way.

I'm GennyLynn on Ravelry too!

OTN:
Baby blanket in hurdle stitch.
"Hey Teach" for me!
Christmas gifts: mostly kitchen towel sets, and fingerless gloves.
GennyLynn1962 is offline   Reply With Quote