Old 10-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
knitwitnc
Casting On

Sweater disaster
hi friends,
I'm knitting a sweater for my dad -- or rather I WAS -- until one day a big hole appeared smack in the middle of the chest. Don't know how that happened, but like an idiot, I thought I would magically come up with a solution that would work.

So I patiently pulled out the rows needed to get past the hole and reknit them. Great. I then had two separate pieces. Being a relative novice, I didn't know how to join them. I didn't have two finished rows that I could sew together, I had two rows of loops, if that makes sense.

I thought, "Well, I'll just finish the rows, then I'll be able to sew them together. So fabulous am I!

Um, ha.

I ended up with two finished rows, of course. Finished, as in having a discernible edge.

As in, it's too late now to un-finish the edges.

The advice I need right now is ... Desperate to redeem the sweater, I've just gone ahead and knit the dang rows together, leaving me with a sort of raised row across the chest. That row is now DECORATIVE. Can I save myself by crocheting some short strips and sewing them, say, around the collar, et cetera, so that it looks as though the Raised Row of Desperation was actually planned?

KnitGeek code:
KER+ Exp+SPM-@Bam++Wood+(Steel)Addi?Syn@Cot++Lux+>Stash+Scale+(Fin)Ent? !FI!Pirates Lace+?Tex++ !FI, Flat+!Circ KIP+++ Blog EZ+Swatch+FO12WIP4 Sport (Bulky)10+Cr>X

OTN: 2 toboggans, prayer shawl, sweater sleeves, poncho
knitwitnc is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Maybe you could undo your repair (the "raised row of desperation") and try grafting the two sides together using kitchener stitch instead. There's a knitty article about it here. Amy also has a video here.
Scroll about halfway down. Using this method will allow you to join the two sides together seamlessly -- no one will ever know there was anything wrong.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

What about just doing a different color in duplicate stitch over the "raise row"? Making it sort of a single stripe sweater.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote