Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
maman
Casting On

How to adjust row gauge
So, my pattern calls for 4.5-5 stitches per inch, and 7 rows per inch. I've got the stitch gauge perfect, but am coming in solidly at 6 rows.

I am using 8s with Pattons Silk Wool Stripes, a medium weight yarn.
maman is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Stitch gauge is the most important, so if you've got that you'll be fine. Patterns often call for a certain number of inches to be worked rather than always saying ___ number of rows, and this takes into account varying row gauge. Rows can always be added or taken away to arrive at the proper length, but width is not something you can adjust in the same way - this is why stitch gauge is so much more important.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Most times row gauge, won't matter, but there are a few times when it might...

From this knitty article on swatching:

"Row gauge is absolutely critical if you are knitting any raglan garment or a fully-fashioned sleeve, if the pattern is Fair Isle, other colorwork, or certain Aran designs, where the charted design constitutes the entire garment piece and dictates the finished length. Always analyze your pattern to see if row gauge is critical to the finished garment or not. Most of the time row gauge will not matter too much but make sure you know when it does."

If you need to adjust your row gauge, this may be of help. Lucia also discusses row gauge in greater detail here and here.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've found that going up or down one size doesn't usually change the stitch gauge too much, but can affect the row gauge. I usually don't worry about it. If a pattern calls for `knit xx rows', I translate that into inches and work accordingly.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
maman
Casting On

hmmmm. Well thanks for all of the input, ladies! It looks like maybe I don't have to worry tooo much. This is for a diaper soaker pattern, which means I can add a few extra rows to make the rise long enough if I need to (or in my case, I guess that would be take a few rows away).
maman is offline   Reply With Quote