Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
The Spider
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to The Spider
How knitting has made me a better guitar player
I was a guitar player long before I started knitting. I think it's because I have hands that constantly want to be doing something that I am attracted to hobbies such as this. I just made the discovery of their relation to each other this afternoon:

I was knitting a cap in k2p2 ribbing on some nice, slick circular needles. I am just now getting good enough at knitting to be able to keep a steady rhythm, even while fixing my mistakes. I have found that if I focus intently on this rhythm, I eventually don't even have to think about it anymore, my fingers just know what to do, and speed comes naturally.

Today, I did my best to sustain my stay in "the knit zone" for about 30 minutes, before I got the urge to pick up my guitar. I stoppered the tips of my needle, picked up my instrument, and to my surprise, my fingers and mind felt twice as nimble as when I go straight for the guitar! I've read about warm-up exercises that professional guitarists use, including soaking the hands in warm water, and flexing them in the air, but I never thought that something else I actually enjoy doing would prove to be such a compliment to my first love.

Anyone else play an instrument and find this to be true?
The Spider is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!