Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
The Spider
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to The Spider
How knitting has made me a better guitar player
I was a guitar player long before I started knitting. I think it's because I have hands that constantly want to be doing something that I am attracted to hobbies such as this. I just made the discovery of their relation to each other this afternoon:

I was knitting a cap in k2p2 ribbing on some nice, slick circular needles. I am just now getting good enough at knitting to be able to keep a steady rhythm, even while fixing my mistakes. I have found that if I focus intently on this rhythm, I eventually don't even have to think about it anymore, my fingers just know what to do, and speed comes naturally.

Today, I did my best to sustain my stay in "the knit zone" for about 30 minutes, before I got the urge to pick up my guitar. I stoppered the tips of my needle, picked up my instrument, and to my surprise, my fingers and mind felt twice as nimble as when I go straight for the guitar! I've read about warm-up exercises that professional guitarists use, including soaking the hands in warm water, and flexing them in the air, but I never thought that something else I actually enjoy doing would prove to be such a compliment to my first love.

Anyone else play an instrument and find this to be true?
The Spider is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Haha! No. The closest I've come to playing a guitar is many an hour wasted on Guitar Hero.

But it's awesome that knitting helps you.
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
cookworm
Working the Gusset

That's very cool! How great that one thing that you enjoy can help you do well at another thing you enjoy, plus, even though knitting may be a "warm up" for the guitar, you also get the added benefit of having a finished project out of it! I don't play but my son plays guitar...I always wanted to play an instrument but never had the opportunity...drums were my dream. What kind(s) of music do you enjoy playing? (I'm so nosey!)

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

*runs to take out her guitar*
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

My hubby has been a guitar player all of his life and does hand/finger stretches before he begins playing. I will have to tell him what you said, perhaps you will persuade him to knit

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
The Spider
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to The Spider
I would recommend it to any guitarist, except, since it doesn't offer
instant gratification, many folks would just as soon give up on it before putting much effort into learning how to knit at a steady pace. At first, as I'm sure you all remember, knitting is the most frustrating thing in the world!

Ms Nosey Cookworm (), I play mostly hard rock/metal, and some chilled-out fingerpicked stuff. It's strictly a "for me" hobby, meaning I don't play out or anything. It's never too late to start playing drums, though. My aunt is in her late 40s, and her son is teaching her. HAHA!
The Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
Mama Bear
Turning the Heel

Hmmm... not sure how I feel about "late 40's" and "never too late" being lumped together Now if one had said.. late 80's maybe

All the knitters in this family are musicians. All the musicians are not knitters! We have lots of both!

Mama Bear

Knit-Along For A Cause: lucybug.org
Mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
Mo0nAngel
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Mo0nAngel
I was taking guitar lessons..until I started knitting! lol!! =P I tried, but I suck at playing the guitar...something to do with my eye-hand coordination...and now my dad resents my leaving guitar lessons...he looks at me and says "If you would've put as much effort as you do when you knit, into your guitar lessons you would have been an expert by now!!" ...meh..but I think it's pretty cool that you play the guitar and you knit! :D
My Art (Drawings, photography, FKO)
My knitter's geek code
KCR+++ Exp SPM Steel++@ Wood+ Pl+ Syn(+) Cot+++ Lux+ Wool+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent? FI++* Int++@ Lace++* Felt++* Tex++* Flat++@Circ++@DPNS[5]ML2* !Swatch GaugeDK(++)W(+++)F(+++)S(+++) KIP(+++) EZ+ FO+(6) WIP+(++) Blog++ SNB- ALTCr+Sw+
What's yours?
Mo0nAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #9
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

Yeah, I play harp, and I've noticed this some, though for me it's more obvious the other way around, if I've just finished playing I tend to be able to knit faster and at a more steady rythm.

It's the same with my typing too, if I go straight to the computer after playing harp I can type faster

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #10
cookworm
Working the Gusset

That's very cool about your aunt! My son would just eat it up if I had him teach me something...he thinks I'm such a dinosaur! It's so weird to hear him getting into stuff that I listened to as a teenager or as a twenty-something because it's all "new" to him, and I never in a million years I'd thought I'd hear one of my kids jamming out to stuff I liked! Anyway, it was too humiliating to me when my kids were in the backseat of our truck while my husband taught me to drive stick shift a little while back (I did horribly for a while there!) so I'm not sure I'm ready to be a complete flop at music while one of my kids threw up their hands in desperation at my hopelessness! Music runs in my family, but for me...I don't know.

As for my nosy questions ...well, I can say to blame it on the fact I wanted to be a journalist/writer growing up! I always have to know the "behind the scenes" stuff!

About knitting being frustrating when I first tried (I've only been knitting 2 years now), oh my gosh--I thought I'd knit squares and rectangles forever!!! When the knitting instructor showed us increases and decreases during the last class, I was TOTALLY confused--almost to tears!--and I defiantly thought, "Well, I'm not going to worry about those--I just won't knit anything that requires increases or decreases". Well, gee, that just about eliminates everything, doesn't it??? See how my brain goes!!! For me, knitting is about the finished product, but also, it's about productivity and portability. I can take my knitting with me from room to room--something I can't do with my sewing machine--and I can stay busy during times when I might ordinarily be slacking off doing absolutely nothing otherwise, so I don't feel guilty about sitting too much because at least I'm keeping busy. Is it this way with knitters and crocheters--it's just as much about the process of knitting and the rhythym as it is about the finished project?

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote