Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
susieq29
Ribbing the Cuff

I Need Help figuring Out This Pattern
I am making a baby's dress. The pattern has been written in Spanish and is translated into english.

I am working over 51 stitches. The pattern is called a Snail Stitch
It says K 1st row. 2nd row *P1 YON* 3rd row *pick up 3 sts.loosing yarns.put 3 sts on left needle and introduce right needle through 3 sts pulling 3 sts as follows; K1 YON K1 4th row P.

I am very confused with this pattern it is adding many stitches in the second row and I cannot figure out the third row the way it is written.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	baby_dress.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	32221  
susieq29 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-05-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Mama Bear
Turning the Heel

I love the stitches in the photo, but the directions don't make sense to me either... it just keeps growing with no decreases to use up the YO's. I think there may be a mistake in the translation.

Mama Bear

Knit-Along For A Cause: lucybug.org
Mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
JudyD
Turning the Heel

<< I am working over 51 stitches. The pattern is called a Snail Stitch
It says K 1st row. 2nd row *P1 YON* 3rd row *pick up 3 sts.loosing yarns.put 3 sts on left needle and introduce right needle through 3 sts pulling 3 sts as follows; K1 YON K1 4th row P. >>

The 3 stitches are already on the left needle so you don't have to put them there. You have to insert the right needle into 3 stitches on the left needle to loosen those 3 stitches because you are then going to knit into the 3 stitches and it can get pretty tight. Knit the first stitch of the 3, yarn over, knit 1 more stitch, then pull those stitches off the left needle. This maneuver doesn't really decrease the total number of stitches because you still end up with 3 stitches, so this is apparently not the decrease. The last stitch of the original 3 doesn't get knit again but has been caught when the right needle goes through the 3 stitches so there won't be an un-knit stitch.

It would make more sense to knit the 3 stitches together then K1 YON K1 but you wouldn't get the effect of the twisted stitch (in the picture this is the stitch under the rightmost white ribbon).

I really think something got lost in the translation; for instance, "Pulling 3 stitches as follows" should really read "working the 3 stitches as follows".

I don't know if this will resolve the problem, but good luck. It's such a beautiful dress!

JudyD
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
susieq29
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the answer. i changed the pattern slightly so that it makes more sense.
susieq29 is offline   Reply With Quote