Old 10-06-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
SakuraDelia
Casting On

"Happy Hat" questions (color/yarn change and STst)
I'm working on Marnie Maclean's "Happy Hat" pattern and I had a few questions.

Question #1: This question is a little late, since I'm on the 4th row, but when is says "1x1 rib" that just means 1k 1p, right? I sure hope so, since that's what I was doing. So it's like this:
kpkpkpkpkpkpkp
kpkpkpkpkpkpkp

You don't:
kpkpkpkpkpkpkp
pkpkpkpkpkpkpk

right? Always start with k. Cause my rib doesn't look ribbed at all. Maybe that's cause of the yarn I'm using and that its only 1x1...

Question #2: I'm about to change the color from my first yarn to my second, and I was wondering the best way to do that. I saw the videos on this site, but those only change mid-row. Since I'm starting a whole new row, I was wondering if there was a better way? Also, is it best to cut the yarn to switch? I'd like to avoid that, since I'm using Lion Brand's Homespun, which, I just found out, tends to go all to hell at the ends when cut....

Question #3: Lastly, a not so important question. When going from a 1x1 or whatever rib to a Stockinette st, do you knit the first row like normal? Just wanted to make sure there's not some rule of thumb about transitioning from ribs to STst.
SakuraDelia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
If you want to do ribbing, you need to knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you.
So if you end with a knit, you should start with a purl. Your rows would be

kpkpkpkpkpkpkp
pkpkpkpkpkpkpk

like this if you have an even number of stitches.

To change color, you can just start knitting with the new color and weave in the end later, or use the tail and main strand to knit the first stitch. With Homespun, though, it may be too thick.

You can carry the yarn up the side if you're going to be using it again in a few rows.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote