Old 10-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Hsiaokuo62
Sock pattern generator?
Anybody know of something along the lines of *knittingfool* only for socks??

OTN: socks for DS almost done.
Hsiaokuo62 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
I answered in your blog, but for anyone else who is reading this, too...

Scroll down there are 6 of them here!
Pattern Generators

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Well, you already have plenty to choose from, but here's one more that I've had bookmarked (haven't tried it): Arachne sock calculator.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

wow!
Wow, thanks Jan and Jane! Can't wait to jump in!

Old 10-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

Sock Wizard
I checked out those sock generators and they are pretty cool. I have some more questions though. I'd like to be able to put in design features like ribs all the way through, and have directions generated for turning the heel when you have a different # of sts than the orig pattern calls for.

Has anyone tried Sock Wizard software for this? I see it in the KP catalog. KP also has a book called Sensational Knitted Socks which SOUNDS like it would tell you exactly what to do when you change gauge (and number of sts) - because as far as Ican tell its the turning the heel part that is hard to figure out if you have a different # of sts than the pattern calls for. I get how you need to multiples of 4 or whatever if you are working in pattern, and from the DIY Knitty Gritty I found the formula for how many sts to cast on based on the width of your feet.

I submitted a request to join a sock group on Yahoo so we will see what comes of that.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Here a link to amazon's reviews of the book in case you haven't read them already. I've paged through it and it seems to contain the kind of info you're looking for. Please share whatever you learn about the software, though. You've piqued my interest.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
You can try the Sock Wizard software for free and see how it works. Some elements of the software may be disabled, but you should get a good idea. I tried that with the Sweater Wizard and now I want it!!

Sock Wizard demo

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

thanks again!
Jan and Jane, you've come through again! I was about to check out the reviews at Amazon - also of another book called Simple socks plain and fancy when my server went down. Just checked in here on my way out to lunch w/ the fam - server up now- will definitely check it all out when I get back!
[/b]

Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Re: thanks again!
Originally Posted by Hsiaokuo62
Jan and Jane, you've come through again! I was about to check out the reviews at Amazon - also of another book called Simple socks plain and fancy when my server went down. Just checked in here on my way out to lunch w/ the fam - server up now- will definitely check it all out when I get back!
[/b]
I like Sensational Knitted Socks better than Simple Socks. Simple pretty much just shows you how to make socks with an hourglass heel (made with yarn over short rows) on DPNs. Sensational has a few different heels and toes, and gives you specific step-by-step instructions that you can follow by using the number of stitches in your chosen stitch pattern, your gauge, and your foot circumference. You can use DPNs or 2 circs. Simple pretty much just outlines one technique and gives a few variations on it, like how to make various stripes (oh boy). Some people really like the hourglass heel, but if you want to learn it, I think there are free resources on the internet that give instructions. If you just want to buy one book, I'd go for Sensational. It's packed with so much more info. JMO, of course.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

toes?
I looked at the sock wizard demo and it looks very cool. My only question is when I looked at the help manual, the toe styles all looked unfamiliar to me. Have you guys looked at that? The socks I have made have decreases on each side of the toe until you have about 6 sts left, then you use kitchener st to finish. The sock wizard toes have some kind of thing in the middle of the toe, like a thick line or band. One is a *star* finish I have noticed on a KP pattern that really looks odd to me.

I'm curious as to what you make of this!

Jane thanks for the tip on sensational vs simple socks. I'm probably going to get the sensational socks book.