Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

OT: YUK!!!!! A TICK ON MY CAT EWWWWWWW
Oh yuk, I'm still feeling sick ew yuk yuk yuk.

We just removed this tick from my Toisie cat's neck. oh god
We didn't know what it was til I looked it up online... didn't look like a tick but then I read about the white part being bloated blood thingy
oh yuk yuk yuk!

And you're not supposed to burn them off like my dh thought.

I hope we don't all get sick. ew

(my brother in law got Lyme disease this past summer from a tick)

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Mo0nAngel
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Mo0nAngel
well i don't have a cat but my puppy which I thought would never get ticks has them :( ...I never burn them off, I just remove them with something and then smash them...we've given him baths and shots to kill the ticks, but they always manage to come back..
My Art (Drawings, photography, FKO)
My knitter's geek code
KCR+++ Exp SPM Steel++@ Wood+ Pl+ Syn(+) Cot+++ Lux+ Wool+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent? FI++* Int++@ Lace++* Felt++* Tex++* Flat++@Circ++@DPNS[5]ML2* !Swatch GaugeDK(++)W(+++)F(+++)S(+++) KIP(+++) EZ+ FO+(6) WIP+(++) Blog++ SNB- ALTCr+Sw+
What's yours?
Mo0nAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I think I'm the only one in my immediate family that hasn't gotten Lyme's. The big ticks you find on cats are usually not deer ticks. You can't get sick from them, though the appearance and thought of them can make you feel sick. You have to be bitten by an infected tick.

My former cat, who lived outdoors all summer by her choice used to get big fat ticks on her head where she couldn't reach. The were gross! *shudder I did manage to get to the point where I could just tear them out, but it always gave me the willies.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
fluffypechey
Knitting the Flap

Ticks are horrible. You have to be very very careful when you pull them out. If a bit breaks off it can cause an infection.
I know its horrible but check when you have pulled it that you have the whole beast.

You can buy in inexpensive tool that will remove them properly and it saves you trying to pull out a bug with your fingers. It insures you get the whole bug!
I have so much experiance with ticks unfortunately. The little kittens and cats I used to foster were usually covered in them. The tool helps honest.

Sharon

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cat.

A cat acts the way it feels.

A LOOPA lover here ;-)
fluffypechey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

Just thinking about them gives me the willies!!! When I had a dog he only ever got one tick we knew of, he wasn't very prone to them because of his thick coat (3/4 Siberian Husky, 1/4 Malamute - think supersized husky) The one time was when he had just come inside and he dropped a bloated tick on our dinning room floor. All purpley-red and about the size of a dime.

nasty. nasty. nasty. *shudder*

I saw a little red tick on the outside of our window once too and kinda freaked even though it was OUTSIDE. I don't generally mind bugs, even spiders I can handle most the time, but ticks, I just can't stand the things

We have deer ticks around here too, though I've never seen them myself. I try not to think about it too much... but then again you I to remember to check my legs after tromping through the woods or tall grass

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Oh thanks for replying, it helps to hear about other stories and I'm not the only one who's so grossed out! I couldn't remove the _______ thing
my husband is so brave thank god.

The right way I read is to use tweezers. Since she's never had them before I don't think I'll buy that tool but it is good advice.

They say to pull straight up, don't twist, wear gloves and it's not the little bit that might remain behind (their head) it's the SALIVA that's dangerous.
Also, unbelievably so, a tick won't even drown if you put it in water! They say to put it in a bowl of alcohol for 10 minutes. But we flushed it down the toilet. (hope it doesn't swim back up ha ha)

gross things yeah, I love a spider compared to these.

Thanks Ingrid for the info on the difference in deer ticks....

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by Pink Dandelion
Just thinking
I saw a little red tick on the outside of our window once too and kinda freaked
The little red ones are spider mites. No harm to us. I don't think. They give me the creeps, too, though, because sometimes they're in huge numbers.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
fluffypechey
Knitting the Flap

One of my cats used to come in with his ears and head totally covered from time to time in what we call bunny ticks. They are so tiny and so hard to get out.
I would spray the ends of his ears and wait for them to die and then get them.
Whenever he had been 'infested' he would come indoors his little white ears black at the tips and look at me as if to say "sorry mum its happened again" bless his heart.

Sharon

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cat.

A cat acts the way it feels.

A LOOPA lover here ;-)
fluffypechey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Limey
Turning the Heel

I used to live in South Africa, where ticks of all kinds could get rampant.

We would regularly take a trip with our two dogs to the vets at the start of summer and one weekend the vet told me that every dog he'd seen during the previous two days in his surgery had Biliary (tick bite fever).

The vet's advice was NOT TO TAKE THEM OFF - if you do, the jaws remain, still embedded on your pet - and they can set up an infection.

He told us to get bog standard Petroleum Jelly, use plastic (disposable) gloves and apply the jelly which will suffocate the tick.

After that, just leave it - the tick will die and drop off.

Hope this helps.

Limey
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
My mom sprays her german shephard with tea tree oil once a week to repel the ticks. So far, it works pretty well. Leah only seems to get ticks once in a great while.

My sister got Lyme disease, she had a huge rash on her butt from where she got bitten. Luckily, she caught it in the rash stage and so she was able to fight it with the antibiotics.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote