Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Treeling Send a message via MSN to Treeling Send a message via Yahoo to Treeling
"Easy" Fair Isle Socks KAL
Hi everybody,

I've decided to give my first (non-striped) two-color project a whirl, and I've chosen Knitpicks "Simple Stripes" Fair Isle Sock pattern. The beauty of it is that it looks like it's actully a 5 color pattern because you're using self-striping sock yarn. It looks like it's also a great opportunity to try using many different types of charted patterns on one small project.

I'd love the extra motivation of having someone else join me for the ride... some more experienced knitters who know the fair-isle ropes and some fellow charted color-work-phobic knitters like me would be fantastic!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I have that pattern! I've had it for some time but it, like so many projects, is on my to do knit list! It does look like such fun and it's really not hard. I hope to hop in at some point, but I've got other projects that have to be completed first.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
NinaT
Knitting the Flap

Hi!
I'm in! I have already finished the first sock and am starting the second. This is just the encouragement I needed to overcome SSS!

Finished: Socks for DS
Hexagon Purse

On Deck: Beret from Gathering of Lace
NinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Treeling Send a message via MSN to Treeling Send a message via Yahoo to Treeling
AWESOME!!! I am super pleased to have some company. The more the merrier.

I've cast on the first one and am ready to go... (alright, I cast it on for what was hopefully the last time after a few tries in the last month... first I had gauge issues-- think socks for Shaq, then I had color issues--think she forgot to start the pattern at the START of a colorway change, then I cast on and knit 3 rows forgetting all about ribbing.)

What colors are you guys doing/thinking of doing? I wasn't thrilled with the colorways they chose for the example socks (I liked the green okay, but the brown with the primaries really didn't send me because I'm not a brown lover). I've ended up using KP's solid sock yarn (essential, I think it's called?) in navy with their "crayon" colorway (primary colors) in the simple stripes. So the final result should be very crisp and clean and... primary. I loved the black essential with the sweet tarts striping yarn, but both were sold out, alas. I hope they get more of the self-striping yarn in, because I'm addicted!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
NinaT
Knitting the Flap

I'm using the Navy Essential and the Simple Stripes in the Orange/Green/Brown colourway.

Finished: Socks for DS
Hexagon Purse

On Deck: Beret from Gathering of Lace
NinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
knottydaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to knottydaisy
I'm In
I'm new to this forum but I have had this project in my future project box for a little while. Looks like a good reason to get it started!

I'm using Essentials in Cocoa and Simple Stripes in Crayons.

I'll cast on tonight or tomorrow, will post a progress picture as soon as there is something to see.

Current Projects OTN:
Clementine Shawlette (Interweave Knits Spring 07)
Fir Cone Wrap (Wendy Johnson)
Islender Sweater (Dale of Norway)
Various Potholders

FOs
Sock Swap Socks!
Pea Pod Baby Set (Interweave Knits)
Wyvern Socks
knottydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

Awesome! The more the merrier!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
knottydaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

Daisy Does Not Play Well With Others...
Ok, so I said I'd be knitting this pattern and I AM!..... sort of. I decided I don't like top-down socks so I'm knitting these using my(well Wendy Johnson's) toe-up method but still using the fair isle pattern from the Knit Picks pattern. So kick me out of the KAL if you must but I've got to be me! I'll post a pic of my progress later today. It's such a cute little toe. The only problem is that I didn't check to see exactly where in the striping pattern I started I'll probably have to do some trial & error on the toe of the second sock. Lessons will be learned.

Current Projects OTN:
Various Potholders

FOs
Sock Swap Socks!
Wyvern Socks
Old 10-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

Kick you out of the KAL? pshaw. Wouldn't dream of it. I've really got to get around to trying toe-up socks and two socks at once.

As for my sock, I do believe that I've finally got a start that is not going to lead to a total rip-back. Yaaaaaay! I'm done with the checker-board band and halfway through the stripes band. And having a blast. I'm loving Amy's continental-with-one-color and throw-with-the other technique. I swear I'm almost going FASTER than normal (that could just be the fact that I'm done with the cotton-pickin' ribbing, finally).
Old 10-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
knottydaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

My Progress
Ok, I said I would be posting my progress awhile ago. Here it is, finally. I had a false start. My first attempt would have fit the worlds thinnest foot, maybe. So here is try #2. It's going much better this time. It's not the best picture, looks better in real life

Current Projects OTN:
Various Potholders

FOs
Sock Swap Socks!
Wyvern Socks