Old 10-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #1

OT: Getting a New Dog!!!
OMG, I'm so excited right now. On Monday night I just happened to go online to our local paper and clicked on the 'absolutely free' section.

Oops, a little history first...I have grown up with dogs and we lost our beautiful German Shepherd almost 2 yrs ago. And within the last few months I've been getting the itch for another dog. We currently have 1 dog and 2 cats. They are our lives (no children) and we also have been renting the Cesar Milan dvd's and got his book, hubby is currently reading it now. So needless to say we know what we've been doing wrong all these years. But at least now we can correct it.

Our Bailey is not really dog friendly, but her and our Duke were best bud's. So I know with time she'll adjust. Plus I don't work so I'll be home to referee them.

Okay, back to my story, I have in the past looked at this section of the newspaper and have seen a couple of females, but since our Bailey is a female we really wanted a male and lo and behold there was a male GSD listed! I couldn't believe it. Then I thought wow, my birthday is tomorrow wouldn't this be just perfect. Well he didn't call me back......until this afternoon. So I just came from seeing him and he's just beautiful. He looks healthy and happy, but he's kept in a kennel in the backyard and these people own a restaurant and they can't give him the attention he needs. He's 1 1/2 years old, just a pup. I want to bring him home now, but we need to have a transition period and get him his own dog bed.

My question(s) are this, what else should I ask this family about him? I've never gotten a dog from the newspaper before and I'm kinda stuck on what else to ask. I asked about his health, his poop, (I know, but he could have diarrhea!), his papers (they got him from the fricken' mall) He seems perfectly healthy on the outside, coat is nice, will have to check his eyes though...

Any doggy help, please....

'Pack Leader'

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Did you have any contact with the dog or just get to look at him in his kennel? We adopted a gorgeous siberian husky many years ago...free from a newspaper ad. Although he had a great disposition he had two major flaws. Little did we know how much he loved to run...more than we could keep up with... we frequently had to bail him out of the pound and finally had to part with him because we couldn't afford to keep doing this.

Also, he was death on cats. Our poor siamese at the time had to spend her last years in one room...he always attacked her when they were in the same room.

Good luck with your adoption.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by bjc1050
Did you have any contact with the dog or just get to look at him in his kennel? We adopted a gorgeous siberian husky many years ago...free from a newspaper ad. Although he had a great disposition he had two major flaws. Little did we know how much he loved to run...more than we could keep up with... we frequently had to bail him out of the pound and finally had to part with him because we couldn't afford to keep doing this.

Also, he was death on cats. Our poor siamese at the time had to spend her last years in one room...he always attacked her when they were in the same room.
I think this is common behavior for siberian huskies. I've had 2 myself and they are just a handful. They just have way more energy than a lot of other breeds.

As for what you should ask the owners, I'm not sure. Our family's 2nd to last dog, a Siberian Husky as a matter of fact, we adopted out by putting an ad in the local newspaper. He went to a place with a farm and lots of room to run around, which he needed. But I would think his health would be the most important thing to ask about. His shots and doctor's visits. Also, if you are going to have a transition period anyway, how about visiting him a couple of times over the next couple of weeks to take him for a walk or down to the park or something, so you can get more of an idea of his personality? I don't know.

Congrats on the new dog, though! It sounds like you'll make a great family for him.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

FIND OUT WHO THE VET IS!!! So if you do bring the puppy home you'll at least know his med. history. If there's no vet I'd think twice about it. Also maybe it's just me but I'd be a little leary of a mall dog. They tend to come from puppy mills and often they are not socialized well. I would worry about this especially because of your other furry roommates.

Are you sure you want to be running interference all day? I know it's hard to look into those sweet, beautiful eyes and not take him home. We get our dogs from the SPCA and it's so hard for me to leave any dog behind. If you've already decided to take in this new child good luck, I'm sure you'll get tons of love from him.

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Knitting-teacher
Ribbing the Cuff

I can understand how excited you are as I grow up with dogs; my family runs a boarding kennels. I am sure he is the perfect dog and he is sweet and has no vices but I am going to be the negative one here, sorry. The truth is you can ask them all you want they don't have to tell you the truth. I have known people drug dogs when they are showing people the dogs so it is more docile. I don't know about where you live but could you ask for a trial period with the option to return him if he is unsuitable?

As bjc said did you see him off the chain/out of the kennel?
Has he even been with other dogs? Bailey might be alright but how about this dog. You say he is a pup but by now he will have his bad habits learnt. Yes you might be able to re-train him but at least you will know how much you are taking on and there are some things that are never unlearnt just there under the surface.
Does he pull when you walk him?
Does he jump up at you?
Does he obey any basic commands? By know he should have some basic commands.
What is he like with his food? i.e. Is he aggressive and possessive? This will apply to his toys and anything he decides to own.
What is he like when you tell him off? Does he bare his teeth at you? Try telling a dog to get away from the fire when they want to stay there and they donít know who is the boss.
Can you take him for a vet check up? If so you will first see if there are any hidden health problems and second how he handles in public and with people like the vet?
How does he travel in cars? This can be important if you travel great distances.
Does he try to escape? He could be a digger, or climber.
Does he bark a lot? Dogs bark but some just do not stop. This especially maybe so as he does not sound like he is "socially house trained"
Does he have a problem with either men or women? I have seen a dog who hates men as his past owner was male and hit him. They had to find a female vet!

Sorry I have gone on and I truly hope he is perfect and I am sure you will give him a wonderful home full of love.

I would love to hear what happens.
Christine
Knitting-teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
orcoastknitter
Turning the Heel

I would suggest everything mentioned above. Even though he is a mall dog, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to have a loving home. He may have some socialization issues, being that he is kept in a kennel. He is young so he might be easier to work with in training. Search for a rescue group on line, maybe they will have some answers for you.

I wish you the best of luck.
orcoastknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #7

Thank you for all of your replies! Those are all good questions that have been asked and I sincerely appreciate all the thoughts that you have provided.

That being said, you are right, no matter what questions we ask, they could be lying to our faces. As far as the problems that he may have, we are the type of people that no matter what's wrong, we will find a way to help the animal no matter what kind they are. Aside from trying to attack us of course

We walk Bailey 2 miles a day. Yes, GSD's have more energy than our Bailey so he'll probably require a little longer walk. No problem there, plus we live in a hilly area so that takes out some extra oomph in his step.

I couldn't imagine giving up an animal just because they have different needs that what we're dealing with now. That just blows my mind. (I don't mean to offend anyone by that statement)

When we went by his kennel, he was acting like a normal dog. Jumping around and barking. It wasn't constant barking either. He wasn't aggressive at all. I think that's a good suggestion that we go to his house and walk him today, tomorrow and friday before we pick him up on saturday assuming everything goes as planned.

He does need his current vaccinations so I will make an appt. tomorrow if we do get him for sure. Can't have him and Bail interacting too much if he's not current.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Sounds like ya'll have already fallen for this lucky pup to me
I might suggest chatting with his current vet and a couple of his neighbors. funny, me being me, i didn't one time think that the dog-parents might be lying...so, a chat with a neighbor will probably tell more if there's more to tell.
Good Luck!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #9

Good idea Rebecca! Thanks. Yeah, I'm the type that falls in love in 2 seconds. Then I have to wait a bit and let my head catch up to my heart.

That's the other reason for waiting until Saturday to pick him up. We're on our way!!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

"As far as the problems that he may have, we are the type of people that no matter what's wrong, we will find a way to help the animal no matter what kind they are. "

We are much the same way. We/I had attended obedience class with the husky. He minded well on the leash, but that didn't minimize his love of runnning. Also, he too had been kept in a kennel.

BTW, we will always have the memory of one of Nicky's escape episodes. It was Easter weekend. We got a call the following Monday that he was at some country place way on the other side of the Rockville subdivision where we lived at the time. For days after we got him back, he passed gas that smelled of eggs. He must have spoiled somebody's Easter egg hunt.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote