Old 10-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
knit picks sock yarn & dpn?
Has anyone tried Knit Picks simple stripes or dancing or essential yarn for knitting socks? AND has anyone tried their dpn? (for sock knitting) What are your thoughts on their product, do any of the above yarns feel like opal?
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
Dancing takes a bit of playing with. It's a good sock yarn, though. Haven't tried the dpns, but would be afraid that they'd slide out of the yarn. I have little ones, so I'm always running to grab the project. Hate when the needles fall out!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

I have a set of the DPNs and love them. When I first got them I thought, "You've got to be kidding" and just KNEW the needles would slide out. After knitting with them I've found I love them. I did have a little trouble with the sliding out stuff before I learned them, but once I did they are wonderful to work with. I've since ordered more of them.

Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Lyndalm
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm knitting gloves on the DPNs and thng they are terrific! Bamboo bends too much for me. These hold up great!

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer
Lyndalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
itsbecca1979
Knitting the Flap

I've never tried the DPNs (and prolly won't since they're metal) but I've tried all 3 of those yarns and love all 3 of them. I'm using the Essential Tweed now, it works up smallish for me (as in the yarn thins out a lot when I knit with it, but not in a bad way). My stitches seems smaller with it than the others, but I'm using a size 3 circ this time compared to the usual 2 size 2 circs I usually use. (I'm doing Magic Loop this time)

Wife to Jerm 11/21/97
Mommy to
Rachelle~8
Issac~6
Ethan~4
Lucas~1

OTN: Wool longies for Lucas
Urban Whatever Hat
itsbecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I like Simple Stripes and Essential (love the Tweed). I used Opal to make a pair of socks, but I don't really remember enough about the experience to compare them. After some trips through the washer, the finished socks feel about the same.
I tried to use Dancing to make a pair of socks, but I kept messing it up and ripping it out (not the fault of the yarn) and it's made it back in my stash box.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

I have tried Dancing and Simple Stripes and liked both very much, found no major problems. I purchased the KP dpn in sock sizes even though I love my brittanys. I was having some problems with k2tog and ssk in a lace sock pattern with the woodens dpns so I gave the Options a try. They are very pointy and pick up those stitches very easily. The smaller size (1) doesn't bend as much. I'm always a little afraid of snapping the birches. However the pointy tip sometimes hurts my finger when I push the tip back when I'm knitting (apparently something I do unconsciously).

I did have problems CO and the first row or 2 with them dropping out, but I simply CO with my birches and switch to the Options after completing a couple of rounds. Once I'm started, the needles don't fall out. I don't know why.

I vote in favor of yarns and the needles.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

At first I really like the knitpicks DPNs, my mom on the other hand doesn't. The biggest difference is that I knit tighter than she does.

The only reason I say "at first" is because after using it for a couple patterns the coating started to 'tarnish' (so to speak) and stopped being so quick and wonderfully smooth. This is probably just a PH thing with my skin . I have heard of other people with a similar problem, but it seems these are few and far between. I'd still ike to see if there's a way to restore the finish without removing too much of the coating or using harsh chemicals.

If it hadn't been for my problems with the finish and the fact that I'm not comfortable using such sharp pointy little needles in the car, they would probably be my favorite DPN needle! The tips are SUPER sharp so great for lacework! Once I got used to how slick they were I could knit really fast on them! (except now the finish is a little grabby )

They're pretty inexpensive as far as DPNs go, so I would give it a shot, order a set of 1s (2.5mm - my favorite sock size!) or 2s (my other prefered sock size) and see how you like them! Chances are you won't have the problem I did with the finish.

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

I have tried Simple Stripes and Dancing. I like the pattern of the Simple Stripes. It's an ok sock yarn as far as the quality goes. I ordered two different colors. One was fine but the other had some sloppy dyeing on it. I didn't have any problems knitting with the Dancing but I didn't like the colors very much. All in all I prefer to spend a few more dollars and get something like Trekking. The Knitpicks yarns do not seem as well spun to me and I have concerns that they won't last as long.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
butterflymama
Knitting the Flap

I loved my Brittany birch dpns until I tried the dpns from Knit Picks...now they are my fav hands down!