Old 10-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
how much is the right amount to pay
hi

i have bought a pattern for m a jumper with a train on it for me 3 year old son. i am not good enough yet to make this. i was thinking i could pay someone to knit it for me (i would obviously provide the pattern and the yarn). does anyone know what i should be looking to pay (to know if i can afford it or not).

thanks

susi
susi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
mulene
Working the Gusset

OK my opinion on this is this;

why do you think you are not good enough to do this yet? Get a pattern for a washcloth that includes an intarsia logo or fair isle logo on it. Something small. Play with it and see how you go. You can do the knit stitch and the purl stitch right? Thats all you need! I have never done intarsia and up until recently I'd never even done socks.

Basically I started knitting when I was a kid. At 19 I made a short sleeve sweater - it was too small so I had to make it again in a bigger size. I then didn't knit again for 20 years. In March I made a scarf for my mother for mothers day. In June I took the plunge and decided to do a real challenge. I knit a sweater in the round from Big Girl Knits book with a time limit of one month for the Knitting World Cup. It consisted of knit stitches and purl stitches and following a pattern.

After this, I made a sock on DPN. Then I started another sock on DPN. That sock is still a work in progress but I then discovered the two circs method of socks and I've made two pairs of socks since then! Socks are one of the hardest things to knit IMO but once I tried to make one and saw how it works then it becomes easier.

For doing intarsia or colour work to learn how to follow a chart before doing the colours, I'd make a wash cloth with a logo on it - Rebecca has some nice ones on her blog.. http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/ this will give you an idea of how to follow charting. Although Rebecca's cloths don't have charts - the pattern is written out in full. You can find other patterns for this kind of "logo" knitting that do have charts instead of writing the pattern out to the full - depends how your pattern is for the childs sweater.

In addition - we are all here to help with your project - when you get stuck post pics and talk to us to tell us what you are stuck on. You'll get an ocean of help from some wonderful very experienced knitters here.

At the end of the project, you'll feel proud and you will have accomplished something really great. Don't let the thought that you can't do this get in the way of the fact that you can do this.

Failing that if you really want to pay someone to knit it for you - you'll be looking at the cost of the yarn (and pattern) as you know and then likely to be an hourly rate. What is someone worth per hour? How often do you sit and knit and when you do catch that precious time to be able to do knitting how much would that time be worth to you?

It is all rather relative, and very much "how long is a piece of string" - personally for me to sit and knit is so hard right now that the time I spend knitting is very precious - if I were to give that time over to someone to knit something 'commercially' I'd probably right now be suggesting a fee of around $100 an hour (50) because the time is so precious to me right now.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
Re: how much is the right amount to pay
Originally Posted by susi
hi

i have bought a pattern for m a jumper with a train on it for me 3 year old son. i am not good enough yet to make this. i was thinking i could pay someone to knit it for me (i would obviously provide the pattern and the yarn). does anyone know what i should be looking to pay (to know if i can afford it or not).

thanks

susi

You should try to knit it ...and help is all here ...that is what this knitting-help web is all about.... alot of knitting guru here you know..i get alot of assistance from the nice friends here .. plus more meaningful to knit it for your son ..... ....u would not regret on this ...
Old 10-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I agree I think you should try to knit it.. there is so much help here and really the only way I moved on from scarves was to jump in with both feets and try it all right out of the gate... your son will see you working on it and know the time you spent on it... my kids love it when they ask who is that for and I say you... It might get frustrating for you but know you have support here.. I fought and fought with my daughters Easter dress last spring but the moment I put it on her it was all worth it.. to see her spin around and tell the lady at the portrait studio mommy did it.. mommy did it... she is 2 and I can't take her yarn shopping with me or I hear mommy you knit it.. you knit it.. I really think you should give it a shot

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I think you should try it, too, but I wanted to share this page I had bookmarked in case anyone wants to get an idea of what the going rate for knitting is these days.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
I think you should try it, too, but I wanted to share this page I had bookmarked in case anyone wants to get an idea of what the going rate for knitting is these days.
wow...that cost a bomb just asking someone to knit for you !!!!...maybe we shld all become one to knit for others....we will be millionaire in no time !!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I agree with the others. You should do it yourself, just try it. Like hellokitty said there are plenty of knitters here who can help you. If you find that it's just beyond you right now do something else and in your spare time practice. I bet you can do it. Unfortunately we are our own worst critics, constantly telling ourselves what we can't do.

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
wow, thank you all so much. not what i expected. i will give it a go. i am fine with jumpers etc (have made a fair few, bags, hats, never done a scarf or a tea cloth though lol.

to be honest its the chart that scares me half to death. it looks really compex. this is the picture of the pattern http://www.nakedsheep.com/trswknpa.html . i hadn't realised how hard the chart is, there is no grid type on it, just a rough drawing. i have tried 1 chart before, it did work, but the chart wasn't a good one tbh which has dented my confidence to do it.

there is no way on this earth i can afford those prices anyway as money os tight (i'm a single parent and my son was quite poorly yesterday and has cost a small fortune in drugs and docs bills). i wanted to get baby alpaca yarn as its suposed to be beautifully soft and ish easy to work with (correct me if i'm wrong please lol).

but thank you so so much i am gona have ago after i finish the jumper i'm working on (striped jumper thats georgous, as soon as i get my camera working iwill post some pictures of it, i love it already, as does my son. he wants to learn to know later on bless him)

thanks again

susi
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
there.
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
brendajos
Grafting the Toe