Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
tonguetied
Casting On

How to knit polka dots?
I'm wondering, is it possible to knit a scarf with polka dots and that both its right side and wrong side look the same? I don't want the scarf to be double-knitted as that will be too thick.

Thanks for any advice in advance~
tonguetied is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If you knit polka dots on a flat scarf, one side will show where you changed colors--it won't look smooth like the front. The only way that I know of to have both sides look the same is to knit it in the round. But then you'll have double thickness.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

If you don't have the yarn yet you could get a lightweight yarn and use a bigger needle and do it in the round, then it won't be as hot.

I like the idea of a poka dot scaft, I just might make one too, let us know what you decide to do.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Sounds like double-knit is your best bet -- then (as you suggested earlier) you can have the back be the reverse (negative image) of the front. Unfortunately, if you choose a thinner yarn to compensate for the double-thickness, that'll mean more stitches to knit. (And doubly more if you do double-knit.) Ack. Could you maybe duplicate stitch or embroider dots after the fact? Or hmmm... I don't know what look you're going for, but it might be kind of funky if you made dots out of buttons -- you could have one on each side of the fabric and sew them together, if you know what I mean. (Sort of like little barbells anchored on both sides and connected in the middle -- but secured to the scarf so they wouldn't fall out, of course.) Or maybe there is a way to do that with yarn... I know I've seen instructions for making little button balls out of yarn -- using a crochet needle I think. Sorry for the babbling... just thinking as I type.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
horve1
Turning the Heel

Use texture instead of color? Big bobbles?
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
knit-errant
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
I don't know what look you're going for, but it might be kind of funky if you made dots out of buttons ... I know I've seen instructions for making little button balls out of yarn -- using a crochet needle I think. Sorry for the babbling... just thinking as I type.
I like those ideas.

Making flat crochet circles and then sewing them on after the fact would be a possibility too -- those are really simple to do.

Only other thing I can think of would be maybe a k1,p1 rib? I did that with some sock yarn and it came out looking somewhat close to stockinette... maybe it would work with other yarns too?
knit-errant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
tonguetied
Casting On

Unfortunately I've already got the yarn, which is too bulky for double knitting I'm afraid. Cuz what I mean "dots" actually quite big in size, so I think big bobbles would be weird. O_O So I may be doing k1 p1 rib as knit-errant suggested. I'm gonna make a swatch after all my school work @.@ Will let you guys know how it turns out. ^^
tonguetied is offline   Reply With Quote