Old 10-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
kitchner stitch, what'd I do wrong?
Ok well I finished my ear warmer for the Balloon Fiesta Saturday morning but when I was grafting it together I completely messed up, what'd I do wrong? Maybe some of you knitting genius' can help me. Thanks in advance.
(I tried to graft using kitchner stitch, just not sure what happened).
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpfdtkog.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	32409  Click image for larger version

Name:	tmpphpukz3qb.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	32410  
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I'm not sure I see the problem so I'll bump this for those who know more.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
horve1
Turning the Heel

First, I love the ear warmer. Very pretty! I think I see what you mean, and I'm guessing that the problem is trying to graft in something other than stockinette, (which is the only place I've used it). I don't have an answer, and I could easily be wrong. It's really hard to see, though, and if it was mine, I'd just put that part in the back and not worry about it!
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

It's hard to see it in the pic, but is there a ridge on the cable part where you grafted together?

i also think that it'll never be perfect since it's not stockinette.

If there is a ridge on the outside on the cables, it looks like you had the wrong 2 sides together when you grafted. The outsides of the work should be on the outside when you graft.
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
candy
Turning the Heel

kitchener stitch
I can't see where it does not look right and I think it looks great, so great in fact that I wonder if you can give me your pattern. What yarn did you use? Would a mattress stitch work?
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
jberry16
Instepping Out

Re: kitchener stitch
Originally Posted by candy
I can't see where it does not look right and I think it looks great, so great in fact that I wonder if you can give me your pattern. What yarn did you use? Would a mattress stitch work?
the pattern was pretty simple, I used Lion Brand wool ease ww and size 7 needles. ( I used one size smaller than the yarn label reccomended to make it a tighter/warmer weave.)

measure the circumfrence of your head,
co 24 (using provisional cast on)
*k3 p2 k6 p2 k6 p2 k3
k5 p6 k2 p6 k5
repeat these 2 rows 3 times for a total of 6 rows ending with the purl row
now work the cable row as follows
k3 p2 slip 3 onto cable needle in front of work, knit next 3 stitches and then k3 from cable needle, p2, slip 3 onto cable needle in front of work, knit next 3 stitches and then k3 from cable needle p2 k3*
* repeat until it is about 1 1/2"-2 " shorter than the circumfrence of your head-DO NOT BIND OFF.
with spare needle pick up 24 stitches from co edge and get rid of spare yarn from provisional cast on, and then use kitchner stitch to graft together. Viola, you're done! And you're ears will be nice and toasty.

please send me a pic when you're done, I'd love to see it.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
candy
Turning the Heel

ear warmer
I am almost done my hat and I thought I would use the leftover yarn for the ear warmer. I do not know my yarns so I have bernat glacier 10sts=4" on a 8mm needle. is that the same as your lion brand wool ease? If so should I use a 7mm needle? How wide is your ear warmer 2-3"?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
jberry16
Instepping Out

Re: ear warmer
Originally Posted by candy
I am almost done my hat and I thought I would use the leftover yarn for the ear warmer. I do not know my yarns so I have bernat glacier 10sts=4" on a 8mm needle. is that the same as your lion brand wool ease? If so should I use a 7mm needle? How wide is your ear warmer 2-3"?
I got 6 stitches (stockenet) to the inch, so 24 st. stitches = 4" with a size 7 needle. But because I used different stitches the 24 I cast on didn't end up being 4". The yarn I used says worsted weight, but I think it's a little thinner than normal ww. And it is 3.25" wide. Sounds like your yarn is a bulky 5 or super bulky 6.
You may want to try a single cable ear warmer, please send me a picture after you do it.
you could try co 14
*knit 2 purl 2 knit 6
knit 4 purl 6*
*do this for 6 rows and then (ending with a purl row)
k2 p2 slip 3 on cable needle and hold in front of work, then work next 3 knit and then work 3 on cable needle and then p2 k2

Let me know how this works or if you have any questions.
good luck.
feel free to e-mail me too
jberry16 @ cableone.net (take out the spaces)
Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
candy
Turning the Heel

ear warmer
thanks I will try that tonight since I am stuck on my hat for now.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
jberry16
Instepping Out

Candy brought to my attention that the co 14 pattern didn't work because then we were only working 10 stitches. OOPS So here is a new pattern, co with 16

Ok when you work a cable pattern you need a border of at least 2 that you always work in garter stitch, knit every row. Then in order for the cable to stick out you need to purl at least 2 (which is the usual number) before you start the cable stitches. Cables always have to be worked with an even amount of stitches.
so if we cast on 14 and then it really doesn't work. Lets cast on 16
kkkppkkkkkkppkkk row 1 k3 p2 k6 p2 k3
kkkkkppppppkkkkk row 2 k5 p6 k5
do the above 2 rows for a total of 6 rows and end with a purl row
then proceed with the cable row
k3 p2 slip 3 onto cable needle (purlwise) hold in front of work, k3, k3 from cable needle and then p2 k3.
I apoligize for not double checking the pattern.