Old 10-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
knitaholic
1st Leg of the Journey

Help on Ski Mask/ Stocking Cap
Hi,

I'm attempting to knit a ski mask/stocking cap from an old magazine (1965 edition). The pattern is vague in its directions. I'm supposed to use 4 #5 DPN's. The pattern starts off by stating: Cast on 102 stitches and work in k3p3 ribbing for 3". I joined this--pattern didn't state--I just assumed you do that. Then, the pattern states to knit 3 rounds evenly, placing a marker at the beginning of the round. Question 1: Am I correct in joining the ribbing at the beginning?

This is a ski mask that can be folded if not needed as a ski mask and used as a plain stocking cap

Next part: Shaping the chin: Pattern states to k 24, turn, p 23, turn. K22, turn. Continue working 1 st less each time you turn until last row is p 11, turn.

On the part for shaping the chin, do I work on just 1 needle like you do for a sock? After k 22, turn--what do I do?

Hope this makes sense.

Knitaholic
knitaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,838 Posts
I think you're right for knitting in the round from the beginning.

As for the short rows, work back and forth on the one needle, working one less stitch each time before turning. So next you would p21 turn, k20 turn, p19 turn, k18 turn, p17 turn, etc., until you've just purled 11. Then you'll turn and knit the next direction.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
knitaholic
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, Ingrid, for your quick response. I understand this now--hope the rest of the pattern is simple and I don't run into "snags", if so, I'll post again. You made this simple--just didn't understand the short row part.

Thanks again,

Knitaholic
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
knitaholic
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ingrid
I think you're right for knitting in the round from the beginning.

As for the short rows, work back and forth on the one needle, working one less stitch each time before turning. So next you would p21 turn, k20 turn, p19 turn, k18 turn, p17 turn, etc., until you've just purled 11. Then you'll turn and knit the next direction.
I did the short row shaping--but, I don't know where I went wrong. I have 34 stitches on each DPN, and the pattern states to K 24, turn, p 23, which I did, but I have 10 unused stitches--am I supposed to distribute them on the other needles? I got "holes" in my knitting after I finished with the short row shaping and I don't know what to do about this. Do I start over or what on the short-row shaping?

Knitaholic
Old 10-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

After the final row of short row, you should pick up the wraps and knit them together with the stitch they wrapped around. This should eliminate much of the holeyness.

You can put those other stitches on the other needles, but if you're just going to continue to knit around, you don't really have to.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 10-16-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
knitaholic
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ingrid
After the final row of short row, you should pick up the wraps and knit them together with the stitch they wrapped around. This should eliminate much of the holeyness.

You can put those other stitches on the other needles, but if you're just going to continue to knit around, you don't really have to.
Another question: Do I wrap these stitches as I turn, or are they automatically wrapped? I really do not understand short rows or wrap and turn--very confusing to me. I've done short rows before and didn't have any problems, although, the pattern didn't state to wrap ---this pattern is very vague. Thanks for your patience.

Knitaholic
Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

If you didn't wrap the stitches--it doesn't happen automatically--you will end up with holes where you turned. Some patterns don't have you wrap, I guess figuring that the holes wouldn't bother the knitter.

Amy has video on wrap & turn; or simply put, you slip the next stitch as if to purl, bring the yarn to the front or back, depending on what kind of row you're on, slip the stitch back and turn your work. Your yarn is now where you need it to be to work the next row, with the slipped stitch 'wrapped.'

After all the short rows are done, you knit across the row, and when you come to a wrap, lift it up on your needle and knit it together with the stitch it was wrapped around.

IngridKH on Ravelry