Old 10-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
cheley
Working the Gusset

One piece sweater
Hey girls...still working on the Margaret Hubert Original sweater. ( Found on this site)...Worked both left and right sides and now working as one piece...I'm confused, work 6 rws garter and YOKE 36, AND CENTER STS IN ST ST.....Since this is a "left and right side do Divide the 36 and do 13 plus 5 (for edge) on each side to end up at center to do st st?

Thanks for your help
Cheley
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-13-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Well, you've finished the neck opening so the rest will be done in one piece. No more dividing right/left from here on in. The part that you are wondering about should be exactly the same as the part on the other side that read:
"Next row, knit 5, purl 20 (24, 28 ) knit 32 (36, 38 ), purl 20 (24, 28 ) knit 5." It's not worded like that, I don't know why, but it is a symmetrical item so it will correspond exactly to what was on the opposite side. Just prior to the above instruction (the one I put in bold) on the first side of the sweater you have the instruction to "work in garter st for 8 (10, 10) more rows", so on the second half of the sweater, the half you are working on right now, after you finish the part that I bolded above you will work 8 (10,10) rows garter stitch, then instead of casting on 25sts next two rows, you will bind off 25sts next two rows and then continue on down the sleeve to finish.

Does that help?
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
cheley
Working the Gusset

one piece sweater
Yes!! that does make sense, but I am a beginner, how would I "read between the lines??? Just know that I am working this part like the beginning? Thanks sooooo much!!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Well it does say to continue in this manner to correspond to the other side. They could be a bit more explicit in their instructions, but don't worry once you get more comfortable with knitting and the wording of knitting patterns it will start to seem easier and easier to read between the lines.

xxx
Old 10-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Hope you understand - I deleted your new post with the question about whether you should ignore the part that says to yoke 36, etc., don't know if you realized that you made a whole new post rather than just replying here.

That set of instructions is just a different way to word the same instructions that I had bolded earlier on here. So no, you are not ignoring those instructions, you are still working those rows but I'd follow the wording from the other side just cause it's easier to follow.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
cheley
Working the Gusset

one piece sweater
So in the future (with patterns) when it is a symetrical piece, just repeat what I started on the other side?
Thx
Old 10-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

That's hard to say...there aren't that many patterns that are written this way. No matter what the pattern is, you just need to read the pattern thoroughly, take it one step at a time, go row by row, and ask when you need help. It won't always be cut and dry just repeat what you did on the other side.

Did you get this little sweater figured out???
Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
cheley
Working the Gusset

I think so, I am confused because I finished the neck, so why am I doing st st in the center when the center of the piece looks done to me!!! This is my first sweater (although I did so a nice lion brand pattern for babies called Luxury Kimona in 6 pieces) so looking at it not completed I can see that I have completed a sleeve on one side and I thought the entire center (is that the yoke)? Anyway I'll rip out two rows and start over.... Only reason I started this pattern is because it says "easy" meaning beginner to me..... Next time, I'll be more cautious of patterns....

Thanks again for all your help,
Chele
Old 10-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The part on the first side that read:
Next row, knit 5, purl 20 (24, 28 ) knit 32 (36, 38 ), purl 20 (24, 28 ) knit 5. Next row, knit all across row would produce some stockinette as well. Because on one row you are knitting then purling, then knitting, then purling, then knitting and on the following row you are doing all knit stitches, you will have some stockinette in that section as well - the stitches that have knit on one side and purl on the other side.

The thing about this pattern that seems incomplete to me though is that it never specifies right side or wrong side. So on the part that I have bolded above, if you started that on the right side of your work, then you would actually end up with reverse stockinette because the purls would be on the right side (the side that will show) of your work. Do you see what I mean??

Don't be discouraged by this pattern being labeled 'easy' and it not seeming so easy after all. There are a lot of easy and well worded patterns out there that don't seem to leave as much to the imagination.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
cheley
Working the Gusset

O.k. ripped-out rows..... then did garter for 6 then began k5 p20 etc....do I follow the pattern from there on? Do the last 2 rows twice then do 10 rws garter? Yikes, it will be a miracle if this thing looks o.k.!!!!! It will probably end up on one of my niece's dolls instead of her!!!!!! I better stick to hats and scarfs...booohoooo...

Thanks again for all of your help