Old 10-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
knitting-newbie
Casting On

back neck-shaping on v-neck vest
I'm new and need help understanding the shoulder & neck shaping on the back of a men's v-neck vest. I've completed the back & armhole shaping and am stuck on the next set of instructions for the shoulder & neck shaping. The instructions say to bind off 8 sts at the shoulder edge and work to the marker. Then I'm supposed to join a new ball of yarn and bind off the center 35 sts and work the remaining sts (to the end of the row). Why, how & where am I supposed to join the new ball of yarn? Then I'm supposed to work both sides separately but at the same time by binding off 8 sts at the shoulder edge and dec 2 sts at each neck edge 3 times. I understand how to do the stitches, but I'm confused by the yarn joining and working both sides "separately and at the same time". Can anyone clarify these instructions for me? I found a similar post, but it doesn't address the yarn joining. I'm trying to finish this for my dad before the holidays, so anyone help would be greatly appreciated!!!
knitting-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
You will join the yarn for the centre stitches so that they can then be bound off but your yarn will be in the correct place to create the second shoulder. This is done in the same manner that you would join a ball of yarn for any part of a pattern when it is needed. Be sure to leave enough of the tail for weaving in later.

You have the option of either working both sides at the same time with both balls of yarn or you can work one side and then the other - the choice is yours.

The shaping that you do for one shoulder will be the opposite of what you will do for the second so that they match.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
knitting-newbie
Casting On

Thanks!!! That clarifies it for me now. You're a life-saver!
knitting-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote