Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
MojoZane
Casting On

Need help, please
Hi, Everyone! I'm new to this board. I have a pattern for a sweatshirt I'd like to try to knit. It calls for Filtes Orsetto (96% Merino wool/4% Poliamide) 50 g balls of yarn. It gives the gauge as 12 sts and 20 rows = 10 cm/4ins over St st using larger needles (which are a 6 in the pattern). All I can find on this yarn is that it is considered a novelty yarn. My question is, how do I figure out what kinds of yarn I can substitute for this yarn to still get proper gauge? I'd like to make it in something soft, like maybe a chenille, which I think is considered a bulky weight yarn, right? Any help on how to figure out yarn substitutions would be GREATLY appreciated, as I can rarely find (or afford) the yarns recommended in a lot of patterns. Thank you!
MojoZane is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Well, the yardage per ball of the yarn asked for is 82yds/50g skein and the label gauge is 14sts & 22rows/4". You would need to look for something comparable to that for it to work with the pattern you have.

I don't know much about chenille yarn, but here is a link from Knitpicks that shows their lines of yarn that fall into the bulky category. There's lots of nice ones there at reasonable prices.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
What is the listed gauge for that yarn? Often the pattern will use a different size needle resulting in a different stitch gauge than yarn gauge. You could probably use just about any bulky or super bulky yarn. That could be too thick to knit on size 6s, though. Or did you mean 6mm which is US size 8? Once you find out the actual yarn weight check here - http://www.yarndex.com/yarn_by_info.cfm?info_type=1 - to find comparable yarns.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
MojoZane
Casting On

I posted the gauge. Thank you for pointing that out about needle size/mm, as I was thinking it meant a size 6. I checked my needles, and my size 10 is 6 mm. I was thinking while looking at the sweater that those seemed awfull small needles for a bulky-looking sweater.

Sorry if I'm dense today, but I still am not grasping HOW to determine the weight of this yarn, as in is it a bulky weight so I know to try another bulky weight yarn?

Here is the pattern I'm talking about, if this helps:

Name - Capuched
Designer - Elizabeth Marmugi
Type - Pullover
Gender - W
Sizes - S, M, L, XL
Yarn manufacturer - Filtes Orsetto
Yarn type - 96 % Merino Wool/4% Poliamide
Difficulty - Beginner
Edition - 2000 12
Price - U$4.00

It is apparently a pay pattern now, but I downloaded it when it was free and it shows the gauge info I posted above. Thanks!
MojoZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Okay, I goofed 6mm are really size 10, not 8. Anywhoooo... I was looking in yarndex again for a sub for another yarn and plugged in 12 st/4 inch into the gauge selector, and the yarns on this page came up, so here you are -
http://yarndex.com/yarn_by_gauge.cfm?info_id=12 - all 209 of them...

heeeeheheeeeee

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

With substituting, just make sure that you look at the gauge of the YARN and not the gauge of the pattern. Sometimes they will be the same but not always.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote