Old 10-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

She really appreciated my handmade gift!
I was talking to a good friend of mine over IM. She's Korean so we're far away, but she helped me a lot when I first went to Korea 9 years ago. Anyway, she was saying that she still has a little crocheted heart I made for her a long time ago for her birthday with her name embroidered on it. She says she takes it with her when she travels, studying in England or China and people ask her what that is and she tells them her friend made it for her for her birthday. She says that other than her grandmother I'm the only one who's ever made anything for her so she really appreciates it. I had forgotten all about that little thing. Isn't that the sweetest thing you ever heard?! I swear, I will now crochet or knit anything she wants because if she can appreciate that little crocheted heart, wow!

What do you think I should make her? I was thinking of making her this shrug:
http://www.caron.com/projects/shadows/sss_shrug.html
Though I don't know which yarn I'd use. I might use the suggested yarn, since I actually kinda like this acrylic and I really like the self-striping style of it.

I don't know, any suggestions?

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
That really is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
ebrperk
Knitting the Flap

That is so nice that she appreciated that small gift. It is amazing what people cherish. I think that would be a beautiful shrug for her. I really like that I might have to make me one to go over some of my sleeveless dresses since I don't like my arms showing.

Everybody is somebody elses weirdo.

OTN--Branching Out Scarf
OTN--Naga Socks
ebrperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Wow, that's awesome! It's so encouraging when people are so appreciative.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
fluffypechey
Knitting the Flap

Oh that is wonderful Nikki, to think that she thought of you all those times when she used her little gift.

I love that shrug especially in the self striping wool. She would love it too I am sure. I think though she would appreciate absolutely anything you made for her.

Sharon

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cat.

A cat acts the way it feels.

A LOOPA lover here ;-)
fluffypechey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

That is so sweet! I know it made you feel so great to hear that she cherished this heart that you made! How wonderful!!! What a good friend.
LOL, I would do the same thing, knit anything she wanted! I know she will love the shrug.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
horve1
Turning the Heel

Wonderful story! I'm with you - when someone appreciates my knitting, I'll go to extremes to make anything for them. (When I make something and it's not appreciated, that's the last for them!!!) That shrug is very pretty. I bet she'd love it!
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
zazzu
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Anyway, she was saying that she still has a little crocheted heart I made for her a long time ago for her birthday with her name embroidered on it. She says she takes it with her when she travels, studying in England or China and people ask her what that is and she tells them her friend made it for her for her birthday.
Nikki...that's sooo sweet. People like that can get me to clear my schedule and drop everything else to make them whatever they want. Really, that kind of appreciation is better than even a bunch of cash
zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote