Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Selling on Ebay - Shandeh's Shimple Guide
Okay, this is my very first video. It's not a high quality film by any stretch of the imagination.

This is step one in the process of selling on eBay:
KNOW YOUR PRODUCT.

I'm selling 7 skeins of acrylic/mohair yarn that's been sitting in my craft room for a couple years. It needs a new home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-440TMyDY
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rio_yarn_web.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	32523  
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Here is the auction listing. It already has one bid!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=005

I'll put the other videos on how to list in the next postings.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGmzHjv0_dw

Here is more detail on the yarn. I was ready to go to the computer to list it!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
You rock my socks.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Woo Hoo! I've always wanted to rock me some socks!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

FINALLY! It took forever to get this video loaded. I think it will be working online in the next few minutes. This is a video of me listing the yarn for auction on eBay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4TCO-4W9Hc
Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Someone was offended by my title, "Shandeh's Ghetto Guide", because she said that someone who actually lived in the ghetto would be offended.

I told her that I live in the ghetto myself!! But I changed the title anyway.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
Jeep_Girl
Instepping Out

It is hard, Sandy. No matter what - there is always someone who may take offense to things no matter how innocent they are. It was nice of you to change your title for them.

OTN: A sock which will get ripped soon, a scarf....
Jeep_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Here are my step-by-step instructions on how to list items for auction on eBay. Remember, this is how I list MY items. You don't have to do it the same way, of course. I have tried different things, and have been successful with this method.

Before you start selling, you should purchase some items on eBay, just to learn how the whole thing works. (Plus, you'll get some feedback on your account. No one wants to buy from a seller that has zero feedback!)

1) Choose an item to sell, and get all your facts together about the product. (Do a search on www.google.com to see what you can find out about it.)

2) Research eBay to see if anyone else has been successful with the same product, or a comparable facsimile. If you find an auction that sold for a good price, notice how they listed it. What item title did they use? Which category was it listed under? What was their beginning price? How long did the auction last? How did they describe the item in their listing? What kind of photos did they post?

3) Once you are satisfied that the item will probably do well, take a digital photo of your item. Try to make it as clear as possible. Sometimes, I get a glare if I use flash, so I just turn off the flash and turn on all the bright lights in the room. It also helps to take the photo outside on a sunny day.

Some ebay sellers purchase a special "light box" to use just for ebay photos. They place the item inside the box, and take really good photos.

4) Now, it's time to list your item.
Go to the ebay home page. www.ebay.com

Sign into your account, and click "Sell". (I haven't tried the "new" listing version, so I'll only be giving instructions with the original "Sell Your Item" way.)

Keeping "Online Auction" selected, click "Start a New Listing".

Select your Category. (You can list the item under two categories if you want a bigger audience, but all your fees will be doubled.)
Click Continue.

Select your Sub-Category on the next page.
Click Continue.

Type in your Item Title and Item Description on the next page.
Click Continue.

Type in your Starting Price. I usually start my auctions at a low price, so the bidding will start. If your price is too high, no one will ever bid on the item, and you have completely wasted your time. Plus, if you use a high starting price, your listing fee is higher.

Select the Duration of your auction. I usually want my auctions to end on a Sunday, because most people like to bid at the END of an auction, and more people are buying on the internet on Saturdays and Sundays. I feel like I get a bigger buying audience on Sundays.

Add your picture(s) (Keep in mind that the FIRST photo you add will be the one that shows as your "Gallery" image.)

Use Listing Designer. It only costs 10 cents, and it really makes your item look better. You can have a pretty background, and can lay out the photos the way you want.

Use Gallery, but only if the photo is a good one. This way, when buyers are looking at a list of items for auction, they will see a small photo beside your item title. (Gallery costs 35 cents)
Click Continue.

Choose your Payment Methods and your Ship-To Locations. A paypal account is a WONDERFUL thing to have. Even though you have to pay small fees, it's WAY worth it. You get your money right away, and your buyer has protection in case they never receive the item. (I usually urge my customers to purchase postal insurance in case the item is damaged during shipping.)

Choose your Shipping Fees. I like to use the "Calculated" shipping, because I can weigh my item (be sure to add a few ounces for later packaging), and the buyer can immediately see what their shipping fee will be. There is a small box at the bottom of the Shipping section where you can put in your own "handling fee" that will not be displayed to the buyer. This amount will automatically be added to their shipping charge. (Some sellers are very dishonest with that little box.)

Type in your Payment Instructions. This note will be displayed in their email notification from eBay at the end of the auction. Mine says, "Hello, I prefer payment through paypal, but will also accept money orders or well-concealed cash. Thank you. - Sandy"
Click Continue.

Review your listing and click Submit.

Your auction has been listed!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

I just got another bid! It's up to $1.76 now. So far, I'm making a whopping 96 cents. Woo Hoo!