Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #1
ALVT_KNIT
Casting On

Simple question from a Knew Knitter
I have just started my first knitting project - a scarf. It seemed pretty simple - I just bought the supplies and tried to teach myself - I've never knitted before, but am a quick learner. My main problem is that I am a perfectionist! So with my scarf at the end of each row, but mainly just on one edge of the scarf, my stitches are loose! It drives me crazy, b/c I have to stop knitting and use a yarn needle to pull the stitches tight through the last two rows. it happens on every row regardless if I just pulled the last row tight or not. What am I doing wrong? It's mainly just one the one edge though...???
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	scarf_2_133.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	32526  
ALVT_KNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's the nature of knitting for the yarn to move a little as you work a row, so the last stitch will be looser because that's where all the slack ends up. You can minimize a lot of that by knitting your *first* stitch or three on a row tighter (or pulling the yarn to tighten it) and don't worry so much about the rest of the row.

One thing I read from a lot of knitters is that they knit too tight when they first started. I don't know if they think it needs to look as tight as machine knit, or if they're afraid the stitches will slip off. So don't think it has to be really tightly knit along the whole row. If it's mostly just the end stitch, try out what I suggest and see if that helps. The other thing is, your tension will even out as you get more practice, so you can just practice, practice, practice ;D

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
ALVT_KNIT
Casting On

Thank you so much for replying so promptly! I was ready to go to bed and check back in a couple days when you replied. Ok, I think I know what you mean as far as knitting the first one to three stitches tighter, but do you know why it's only on the one edge of the scarf that is loose? it just doesn't make any sense to me. Thanks for your quick help! I'll try what you suggested + the practice part :-)

It may be because, when I see it loose on the one edge, I try to tighten the 1st stitches on the next row and it takes care of itself for the opposite edge as your sugesstion noted. I'm gonna keep trying>

PS - I just like to do them tight b/c I'm a perfectionist and noone's told me otherwise. I just started two weeks ago. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Another way to keep your edges looking nice is to always slip the first stitch purlwise, and then knit the rest of the row normally.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Another way to take up the slack on the end stitch is when you make the first stitch on the next row, pull the yarn tight, and it also tightens up the one below.

I couldn't tell if you're doing ribbing or stockinette. Ribbing makes the stitches a little uneven because you switch from p to k all the time. Maybe that's why it's only on one side.

sue
Old 10-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
ALVT_KNIT
Casting On

I don't know what stockinette is??? I think I'm doing a sort of ribbing. My basic pattern is:

Odd rows:
k3 *p2 k2 rep from * end p2 k3
Even rows:
K the knit sts and p the purl sts (this one took me a while on my 1st day to figure out - lol)

The pattern changes slightly with three other sets, but all of the rows start and end with k and switch back and forth btwn p and k in each row.

I don't feel so lost anymore - Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

That's ribbing, with a garter stitch border. It can also be 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, or any combination of knits and purls. Stockinette is knitting all stitches on one side and purling them on the other. And yep, sometimes with a garter edge, the last stitches can be sorta loose.

sue
Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I would start slipping the first stitch. It will take up the slack and it makes a pretty border, like this.

[url=http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index.php/Yarnpath/stupid_knitting_tricks_the_chain_selvedge] Great insruction and pictures

I hope this helps.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote