Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 PM   #1

OT: Horrible Tailbone Pain UPDATE!!
I know I post alot about my medical problems, but I really have nowhere else to turn. You all are so understanding and helpful, I just feel better asking here first. So bear with me...

It'll be a year in I believe January. Hubby and I were shoveling one of those heavy, wet, thick snowfalls that came down and I was doing it right, not too much on the shovel, which of course made it go even longer, and then on one particular heave ho I heard/felt this POP come from my tailbone area. It didn't hurt at all, it just sounded funny.

Well, after a couple of weeks the pain made its entrance and hasn't left. I went to the chiropractor and he fixed it for about a month. One quick crack and I was good to go, then it came back. I suffered for about 6 more months and decided I couldn't take the pain anymore and went back and it didn't help one bit.

I can't sit anywhere without getting up like an 95 yr old woman - extremely slow and painfully. It even hurts while I'm sitting in some places, especially the car! Yikes! That one is awful. And the getting up part is a thousand times worse. I do have a 'donut' pillow (does that make me old?)

I don't know what to do. No, I haven't been to the doctor for it, why you ask? Well most doctors don't like to listen/believe me when I tell them about my pains. And this one is literally a pain in the ***.

Any suggestions? I've heard that tailbone injuries can take a long time to heal, but mine isn't healing at all. It hasn't gotten better only worse. I do pilates and yogo and walk a mile a day. So I'm not lacking in exercise, maybe not the right exercises, but I don't know what to do. When I google this stuff it comes up with a million different opinions on the subject and then I give up.

Help, anyone???

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Hugs and sympathy to you. I found this, though maybe you have already read through it.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
debz
Casting On

sounds to me like you may need some x-rays done, if your doctor doesnt listen, go to the local A&E department, most problems should show up on the x-ray but if not it may mean you will need a CT or MRI scan.
my step mother actualy payed privately for hers to be done as the doctor wouldnt listen to her, it is expensive but well worth it.
good luck to you, i know lower back pain is the worst
debz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Kniki
Ribbing the Cuff

sounds like you've put up with this long enough... What else are doctors for if not to help you? I would go and see them all, eventually they might refer you just to get rid of you...
I have been suffering with this during my pregnancy when i sit on a hard seat, its not nice... In Germany they are into accupuncture in quite a big way, i had it once, and although it didn't shift it completely (i should really have gone back) it did ease it enough to cope with...maybe thats worth a try? x
Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I must agree, you need to go to see a MD. I am blessed in that my docs listen. I am disabled and have pain as a result pretty much 24/7 so I can sympathize with you.
Allow me to share something that I have learned. With such an injury you have what the anesthesiologist that was doing my epidurals explained to me as a "Vicious cycle" you have an injury which creates inflammation and muscle spasms which create the pain which create the inflammationan and muscle spasms which create the pain, etc, etc
You have to break this cycle with medication for both the inflammation and spasms.
Now, granted, you may not be having spasms, it may very well be bone pain (which is bad, I know, have it every day of my life), but I guarantee you have inflammation, so much so that it needs to be diagnosed and treated by a doctor. This is not something that you should play around with, it is possible that you could suffer with this for the rest of your life, arthritis can very well set in....go to the doc!
Sorry, I don't mean to sound pushy, it's just that I know that bone and/or muscle pain can be very bad and can't get worse if not treated properly, and I don't mean that your chiropractor treated you improperly, there are just times when one isn't enough.
I'm sending you big, big, big

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I called my doc today due to your encouraging posts and I go at 1:00 tomorrow. It's just my regular doctor so I won't get much done there but spend my $20 co-pay that's going to go up in the next few weeks. As if we don't spend enough on insurance.

I regress.

I guess I'm just so leery of going to the doctor since so many people have this pain and it takes so long for the doctors to actually believe them and do something proactive. Maybe since I've had it for so long she'll do something a little more aggressive.

Anyway, thanks again for the posts.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

When my son was young, there were problems. I KNEW there were problems. Through my own research, I figured out that he was probably autistic, although some of his symptoms were subtle, so it was not a slam dunk diagnosis. I took him to several doctors, one of whom had the nerve to tell me that all children develop at different paces, and I was an hysterical mother!

Luckily a family member knew more about things than I, and told me that even though my son was only 3 I could take him to the school district for testing. So I did. And I did it without telling them anything about my own suspicions, so their opinion wouldn't be biased. Low and behold he was diagnosed with mild autism. Now some of you know the whole story about what I think is REALLY wrong with him but it is irrelevant to my point.

GET TO THE POINT! You say. Well you might say. My point is that YOU are your best advocate. You need to think of yourself as your own lawyer appearing in court to save your own life. The doctor is the judge and you must vociferously and zealously defend yourself. None of the degrees on the wall, none of the years in medical school, none of the experience in practice makes ANY doctor better equipped than you to know YOUR body (or your child's). Own that knowledge with the quiet confidence that says, "DON'T MESS WITH ME, I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT"! Be direct, be forceful. Be assertive. Go into the doctor and instead of ASKING what you should do, you say: I NEED AN XRAY. If the doctor doesn't want you to have one, ask to see another doctor, RIGHT THEN!

I'm not yelling. I am trying to show emphasis. I try to refrain from giving my pregnant friends advice. The only thing I ever tell them is: you are the only advocate your child will have. Don't let something think that because they studied anatomy, that they know your child (or yourself) better than you do!

Sorry for the rant. It breaks my heart to hear that someone has been mistreated so much by doctors that they are afraid to speak the truth to them.

Go forth and demand the respect and care that you deserve and pay for!!!!

CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #8

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
GET TO THE POINT! You say. Well you might say. My point is that YOU are your best advocate. You need to think of yourself as your own lawyer appearing in court to save your own life. The doctor is the judge and you must vociferously and zealously defend yourself. None of the degrees on the wall, none of the years in medical school, none of the experience in practice makes ANY doctor better equipped than you to know YOUR body (or your child's). Own that knowledge with the quiet confidence that says, "DON'T MESS WITH ME, I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT"! Be direct, be forceful. Be assertive. Go into the doctor and instead of ASKING what you should do, you say: I NEED AN XRAY. If the doctor doesn't want you to have one, ask to see another doctor, RIGHT THEN!

I'm not yelling. I am trying to show emphasis.I try to refrain from giving my pregnant friends advice. The only thing I ever tell them is: you are the only advocate your child will have. Don't let something think that because they studied anatomy, that they know your child (or yourself) better than you do!

Go forth and demand the respect and care that you deserve and pay for!!!!
I know you aren't yelling silly! Thank you for that encouraging post; perhaps you are available to go with me tomorrow? I could really use someone like you to help me talk to my doctor.

I will try my best to make her listen to me, I would kinda like to bypass the x-ray since most of them don't show an injury when there is one. To me - go for the MRI. It's faster and shows more. Just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Now you're talking! Go for the MRI. And yes, I would go with you, if you lived nearby. I actually go to the doctor with my best friend for this reason. Maybe in my next life, I'll be a "medical advocate"!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
debz
Casting On

you are right, x-rays dont always show everything, but for me they showed clearly, i didnt have to have an mri or ct.
here in the Uk it is almost impossible to get an mri, without a long wait and very just cause. (unless you pay privately) in the US it may be different.
hope you get somewhere with your doc anyway
debz is offline   Reply With Quote