Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
karenf
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to karenf Send a message via Yahoo to karenf
Best holder for a small-medium knitting project?
I am a new knitter and knitted a couple scarves and now my first baby blanket. Right now, I keep my yarn & needles in the original shopping bag that I purchased them in from yarn shop. I see lots of different totes and things online, but not sure what would be best. I'd like something for small-medium projects, lightweight, sturdy, stylish, some pockets or sections, something good for knitting work. Since I am a beginner and want to learn everything, I want to start out with a good bag that is not too bulky.

Any favorites? Thanks for your help!!
(Please include a link to a picture, if possible)

Karen

http://www.AnAutismStory.com
karenf is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Well, I use my purse, LOL, I just got a new one with holding knitting projects in mind when I was looking for the bag! I got mine at wilsonsleather.com but, there are purses that are made specifically for knitters! These are great, I still have to have one
for example, the Namaste bag, and then there's this one and this one and this one.
Of course, you can always use a little tote specifically for your knitting, you can pick up a fabric one anywhere

Almost forgot to mention these!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

I just ordered the Namaste everyday bag and i'm hoping that it will be everything that i dreamed it would be. I'll let you know in a week or so!
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
yer killin' me Rebecca...I had to click on all of those links to see if you had metioned Jordana Paige at all! ...lol My mother nearly bought me one of the namaste messenger bags last weekend but i had to convince her that it just wasn't big enough before I got away from it (reality was that i just didn't see her spending that on a bag for me that will only last a couple of months before I get bored...lol. It is one thing for ME to spend it but not her....yeah i know she can afford it better than i can...not the point...lol) I think the satchel would be great for smaller projects.

I also love Green Mountain Knitting Bags but she isn't doing any more CUSTOM work until after the holidays. She still puts a few bags for sale up every week but you have to be quick if one of those grabs your eye because they are usually gone pretty quick!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

My bad, bren....LOL, of course, I so knew you were coming in to talk about the JP bags

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
lol i can't help it...i love them!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Aw, man, I'm in love ( ) with the Namaste messenger bag. I blame you, Rebecca.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
The best thing I found was in the back to school department... like back packs, messenger bags..etc.. They are cheaper than "knitting bags" and usually have lots of pockets that are zippered, etc. Try thinking "out of the box', of course knitting bags are great also.. I don't mean to take anything away from them.. I just went to the lower priced ones... I bought a great denim messenger bag, w/ a great deal of pockets, & space for under 20.00.. It all depends on what you want.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
Cristy
Instepping Out

Berroco has a few patterns so you can make your own--a carpet bag and something called the toshiko tote (it's just a basic bag). I've been holding onto the patterns for both and I have the yarn for the toshiko already--I just haven't really gotten to work on it (sad..I've had the yarn for AT LEAST 6 months...). I have a vera bradly bag ("tote") that doubles as a purse/knitting bag. I like something I can throw my keys and wallet and knitting into. I have a custom made over-the-shoulder duffle (drawstring top) style bag that my mom got for me at a craft fair and I like it b/c it opens at the top and I can just leave the yarn in it while I knit. In the end...I think everyone has their favorite. I don't like things that are overly compartmentalized--especailly if it takes away from the usable space. Artbin has one that I saw on Joann's site one time that looked neat...it was purple if I recall correctly..

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

I really like using a booga bag (free pattern and easy to boot) and inside it a handy little school supply organizer that was bought for $1.50 called a 'back-to-back-pack' (sappy name I know...) which is like a spiffed up hard plastic pencil case, it opens on both sides has a long slot for pencils (that fit most DPNs quite nicely) and a several little partitions of different sizes for other things - row counter, tape measure, stitch markers, needles etc. (picture here on my blog) . I know it's not the same as a bag with lots of partitions, but I like it that I can have more than one booga bag or other inexpensive bag holding different projects, but all it takes to get all my knitting tools and change any of my bags to my 'main' knitting bag is to grab the little case.

If pockest are a must, you could knit them seperate and sew them onto the booga inside or outside the bag before or after felting, or line the booga with fabric that has pockets sewn in.

But you wanna know the very bestest part? Since the whole shebang can cost under $10 a bag (any worsted weight 100% wool yarn works to make a booga, even recycled from other wool sweaters - I shelled out a whole $3.00 (including the organizer) for my most used knitting bag because I used recycled wool) there's more money for yarn!

Here's a couple pics of different booga bags I've made for knitting, most made with recycled yarns...

This is my 'main' knitting bag, I knit it with smaller yarn and needles than called for in the pattern so it would be smaller:

This one is to the pattern, but less stitches around and fewer rows:

(Weblog post about this bag)

This one was made with patons classic merino and it just shrank a ton:

(Weblog Post About this bag - which includes a pic of a bigger "full size" booga)

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote