Old 10-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
ShellChelle
Casting On

Berroco Suede substitute?
Hi. I want to knit those cute suede baby "Ugg" booties for a co-worker who just had a baby yesterday. My LYS sells the Berroco suede and plush for $9.95 each.

Does anyone know of a less expensive substitute? My co-worker is very nice, but I don't want to spend $30 on yarn just for a pair of booties!

Thanks.
ShellChelle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
horve1
Turning the Heel

http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/lionSuede.html

I don't know how it compares, but maybe worth looking at.
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Cristy
Instepping Out

I wouldn't use the lionbrand...I've not used it myself but I've heard that it's not so nice. I need a substitute for that same yarn too so if you find something good or find that the lionbrand does work--please post to let us know! The guage isn't exactly right on the lion brand but if you are comfortable making the alteration--it might be okay if you wanna try...

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

I've read too that Lion Suede is *not* a good substitute for Berroco Suede. I haven't found one...I just keep searching the bargain room at the LYS for Berroco. :D
Old 10-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowP....aspx?p=268680

I picked up some of this at Hobby Lobby, wondering if it would be a good substitute to make the Uggs, but I haven't tried it yet. It seemes more suede-y than like a chenille to me. It just says size 11 needles, I'd have to dig it out of my stash tub to see if it has a more specific gauge to compare with the Berroco Suede, but I can if you need me to.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
ShellChelle
Casting On

Thanks. . . I think I might just break down and buy the Berroco, but instead of knitting the sole in a color different from the bootie, I'll make 'em the same so that I can get away with buying only two skeins of yarn instead of three.

I do like some of the colors of the chenille, though. Let me know how that knits up!
ShellChelle is offline   Reply With Quote