Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
alchemyfyr
Ribbing the Cuff

need ideas on a sock
Hi Everyone! I have a daunting task ahead of me..... my mother-in-law emailed me and asked if I could knit a couple of large socks for my father-in-law as he had broken his ankle a few weeks ago and will be getting a cast put on in a couple weeks. He will be in this cast at least another 2-3 months unless he has to have another surgery which will prolong it.... Anyways, that means his toes will be exposed all winter. She knows I recently began knitting sweaters for my daughter and I do not want to disappoint her so I'm going to try even though I have never knit socks before and it seems difficult with the whole heel shaping. Now it is also more difficult since I have to figure out how to accommodate the circumference of a cast!!!!
Can anyone recommend a bulky yarn, a simple pattern (I have been looking at a few here in the pattern section), or any tips before I start? I'm dreading doing this wrong and wasting all my time and effort and having his toes be cold!!! I was even thinking about just knitting a long tube and then decreasing and shaping to close it like a hat... but it won't look very nice though and I'm afraid it would be too bulky at the top part of his foot.
Help!!! I don't want to let my in-laws down!!
Thanks for any ideas,
Kristy
alchemyfyr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2006, 03:23 AM   #2
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Being an absolute knitting beginner, I would probably try to make him a sort-of sock - let's call it a "toe hat" - that covers his toes and goes to underneath his heel. That way you don't have to take a crash course in knitting the heel. So the "sock" would go over his toes and up most of his foot...the only thing you would need to be sure of is that it stays on his cast and doesn't slip off.

Or is that a total cop-out?

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
beekudzu
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi! If you go to www.bevscountrycottage.com and find her "qucik knit socks" this maybe something that will work. The pattern calls for worsted yarn but you could probably substitute a bulky and use bigger needles and that would make the sock bigger. This sock is really stretchy and is made on 2 needles instead of double points, so it should knit up quickly. Hope this is what you are looking for.
beekudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Spiral rib socks are supposed to be really comfortable and easy to make. That link doesn't have a photo, but this picture gives you an idea of what they look like. You can find more patterns if you do a search for "spiral rib socks." I just chose the first one that came up on google. The basic idea is that you make a ribbed tube, but shift the rib every few rounds to make a spiral pattern. This is supposed to make the sock fit around heels and stay up even though it doesn't have a real built-in heel. An improved tube sock, really. If you need to make the upper part wider to go around the cast, you could probably use larger needles just for the top portion.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Angelia

My two cents!

Get your MIL to measure the cast from the heel around the instep--use that measurement to determine the # of cast-on stitches. Unless you know already, you might have to knit a wee swatch to see what gauge you get with the yarn and needles you're using. Then, multiply the stitches per inch by the number of inches around the heel/insteap, and voila, you have your number of cast-on stitches!

I also recommend the spiral rib socks; they'll fit over a cast much better than an actual sock will; the angle of a sock with an actual heel might make the sock difficult to get on and off.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
alchemyfyr
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you all for your ideas. I am on my way now to get some yarn.... all three of my favorite stores (Michael's, JoAnn's, and AC Moore) are 5 minutes from my house and yarns are on sale. One store has all yarn on sale for $2, $3, or $4... that is amazing!!!! I will keep you posted on which patterns I try and how the socks come out. Thank you all again!
Kristy
alchemyfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
cocoa
Ribbing the Cuff

toes caps
Just an idea; How about using old or cheap socks, cut the tops, fold the top edge, sew elastic at the rim so they're a good fit or even the top of a hat would do.
Dee.
cocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...tml?noImages=0

Here's a pattern for an honest-to-goodness "cast sock." The snake tongue is probably optional.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote